Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 supra N/A with an automatic transmission. The car started shitfting at 5000 RPM two months ago. I did reset some fuses, replaced the transmission fluid, change the ECT unit box still did not help, I finally replace the transmission and the torque converter yesterday, the car still change gear every 5000 RPM. I just cant think of anything else to check on the car. I will appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
just taken a wild guess, kick down cable(i belive thats what he^ is talking about) it control the amount of pressure or somethin in the tranny, it sort of tells the tranny when ur on it or not. so if it broke(like mine) it wasnt sure when to shift and was really clunky but mine didnt go above 3.5k, so maybe yours it to tight? i dont do autos, talk to slow66 he has a built auto supra great guy too

josh

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Your throttle position sensor (TPS) on the engine is dead or misadjusted. That is the major sensor the trans ECU uses (aside from vehicle speed) to determine when to shift.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep kickdown cable thats it hahaha and the reason i think it is that cuz the bolt that you tighten to the bracket to hold the cable in place always comes loose. I have to retighten this thing like every month.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
On the A340E, the transmission we have in our cars... are fully electronic, except for the line pressure. The "kick down" cable is the line pressure cable. It keeps lower pressures to provide smoother shifts, but when you are pushing it hard, or making more power, is when the cable opens the detent and increases pressure, will not affect shifting.

As Dean said, something in your TPS isn't right, that is where the Trans ECU gets it's info of how much you are "getting into it"

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all you guys that responded, I appreciate the advice. I think most likely the problem is the TPS, that is the only thing I have not check in the car. I do have extra TPS laying some place. I will replace it tommorow, but if this dont fix the problem could it be the main ECU box?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts