Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a big dilemma here :sadance: , trying to decide between getting an auto with my 1jz or a 5spd. To start, let me say that I am only concerned with straight acceleration, I'm not much for the turns as much as I am for straight line. I'm posting in this section because this is pretty much the straight line acceleration section :)

Lemme start with my setup
CAI, Fully exposed 24x12x4 FMIC, heatwrapped 2.5" ypipe, heatwrapped 3" dp, 3" straight catless exhaust, retarded exhaust cam (-2.5 degrees), greddy bov, 4.30 LSD, FD rx7 rims, and all this in a car that weighs 2980 lbs with a 135 lb driver

If I go 5spd, I have a lightweight flywheel ready to go (12lb)
If I go auto, with the money saved I could probably get a lightweight driveshaft/hardpipes/safc or something else beneficial

Now I'll be honest, I don't like shifting :ugh2:. I also know that its harder to get more power out through an auto. I will be drag racing a bit, not TOO much but maybe once a month or so and I'll most likely be running drag radials (Not stoppin till I'm in 12's). One thing I actually like is that the 1jz auto is a 4speed (3 with OD). I was afraid the auto would be shifting too much with the 4.30 gears, but since it's a 4 speed the length of the gears increases quite a bit and should work quite nicely :naughty:

What will be the better choice for me? Auto? 5spd? Plain out, which one accelerates faster? 0-60, 60-100, 60-150, 1/4 mile?

Any/all input wanted, I'm having a crazy hard time deciding :ugh2:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Auto, plain and simple. I have logs of a 1JZ Soarer w/auto box to prove it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Have you got Gtech PASS software? If so, I can show you the shift times (faster than the SMG box in an M3).

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
i want my auto to work superior lol. but i dunno how.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It already does. A shiftkit will gain you even more.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hey guyz i am running a 1j auto from a jza70(mkiii supra) does anyone know how i can set the ecu so the tranny is in power mode...cause right now it doesn't shift at the redline it shifts early? any help would be great...thanks...right now i dont have the power/ect switch wired up

·
Registered
904 Posts
Auto all the way for straight line Drag racing. It is proven and repeatable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts