Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread on the local Auto-X boards stating that any changes to turbo charging system land you in SM and no longer in ESP. For those that run their Mk3, what class are you in?

I was told before that things such as and upgraded IC/piping would only put you in ESP, if not what actually does put you there vs. just STU?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
prsrcokr said:
There was a thread on the local Auto-X boards stating that any changes to turbo charging system land you in SM and no longer in ESP. For those that run their Mk3, what class are you in?

I was told before that things such as and upgraded IC/piping would only put you in ESP, if not what actually does put you there vs. just STU?
Thanks,
Brian

Rules are subject to interpretation. Last I checked, you could not have an upgraded/different turbo, nor a boost controller. However for SP, you could upgrade the "intake." I would argue that IC pipes are definitely part of the "intake" since most aftermarket intakes include pipes on NA cars. The intercooler is debateable.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
2005 SCCA Solo rulebook- http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf (13MB)

From the street prepared rules section:

"Intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted"

"Turbochargers may not be added, changed or modified"

"No changes are allowed to wastegates, pressure sensors... ...or other boost limiting systems"

I used to run B stock many moons ago with the mk3. I think it would be in E mod now, lol.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
2005 SCCA Solo rulebook- http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf (13MB)

From the street prepared rules section:

"Intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted"

"Turbochargers may not be added, changed or modified"

"No changes are allowed to wastegates, pressure sensors... ...or other boost limiting systems"

I used to run B stock many moons ago with the mk3. I think it would be in E mod now, lol.

Thanks for the clarification (*looks at outdated 2000 rulebook and tosses it away)

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again that could fall into interpretation. Technically the greater restriction of a stock IC and stock piping limit the boost pressure seen at the manifold. Whether or not they mean limiting by the lasw of fluids or mechanical control is the question.

The mk4 is B-stock and the mk3 is listed in E-stock from what I've read. Thanks for posting the answer chevy, I was trying to find a copy of that rule book last night.

Maybe, I should bypass my MBC during events, I have so much of a problem keeping traction anyway it would probably help. I think with the stock WG setting and upgraded IC/Pipes I'd probably still see 10psi.
Brian W-88T

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
you should be able to modfiy your suspension and IC and be ok. it depends on who is running wiht you and if they are dicks or not. i wouldnt worry to much about it until you are at nationals

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, but I wanted to be fair because I have seen a few folks running stock class with R compounds and exhausts that don't look stock or even street legal.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
ANY change to WG or boost level (i.e. MBC or EBC) lands you in SM or EP. increases in boost level due to better ex. or IC are negligable and allowed.

myself, i get OWNED in SM frequently...

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
prsrcokr said:
True, but I wanted to be fair because I have seen a few folks running stock class with R compounds and exhausts that don't look stock or even street legal.
DOT approved r-compounds and cat-back exhaust are some of many changes allowed in the "stock" classes.

You might as well just bite the bullet and run SM. I did that with my mazdaspeed miata before it was necessary. Chances are you will get your butt kicked in any class in a MK3 supra. It is too heavy and 13-18 year old suspension bushings don't work so well, either. IMO, YMMV, etc.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have bushings on the 'to do' list. I'm not looking to win any national events either, just improve my times to run with the STi/Evo guys in similar classes. I've seen some camaro/mustangs that run great times. I don't see why the mk3 wouldn't be able to do the same given an equivalent driver.

Dr. J, you answered my next email I was going to send as to what class you run in.
Brian W

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
SM is a HUGE catch all- you can pretty much do whatever you want.....that's why they created it. i enjoy it, too bad i'm so freaking busy....i haven't run yet this yr. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts