·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Brian,
I opened that link, even looked around there. But I can't find which one is you ...you will have to narrow down my search.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Nick, I copied the wrong link (an old one) It's fixed now.
Brian

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Lookin' good. Plus it's nice to see a MkIII doing so well ...I don't visit the MkIII section here or maybe I'd see more of that, so it's new and interesting to me.

Your placement sounds very good. What kind of cars were near and above you in the standings?

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, even with the wide wheels she still won't turn like a BMW. Slaloms fairly well but think a good spring/shock will help in hard corners like that one.

Nick, I think it's because only a couple mk3 folks do much beyond drag. Placement was above a couple Mustangs and Z cars, below Vettes and an M3. I was wrong,17th the M3 most have had a time correction. I ran 46.5's but none were clean.
http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross/42207res.html

Brian

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
ive been autocrossing my mk3 for about 2 years now, since i was 16 and ive had some pretty decent finishes on street tires, but really the car is just to heavy to turn like alot of the other cars around. that being said a big set 295+ size of r compounds willl make anything turn like a elise lol. thats where i am heading next season

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to see another mk3 being run. I'm sure 295's will make the car grip like crazy in the turns but I can't see them making it turn any quicker. That's alot of tread to be moving back/forth and also more weight. 'Biggest width possible' seems to be the auto-x mentality but my thought is that it depends on the car.

I had a couple hot shoes (national competitors) drive it last year and they were impressed with how quickly it transitioned compared to other heavy cars. They ran within 2/10ths of my times on my old tires.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Brian,
looks like you're moving up in the ranks from the results page. I'm not getting your video google page to load, it comes up with misc bs.

My buddy Scott has an FD/LSstroker which he autocrosses quite sucessfully, mostly in NJ area, Giants Stadium etc. I wonder if he knows this guy you're chasing. Scott posts here as 2MCPWR and he was at Pocono with us a couple weeks ago so I wanted to see how we compared (with my new single setup) but he blew a power steering hose that was recently installed and dropped out for the day after only a couple laps.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should be fixed now, don't know why that keeps happening.

This guy's name is Robin, evidently he didn't finish it that long ago (primered black 88' FC) Now a LS in an FD, I'd bet that handles even better. Especially one with the torque of a stroked setup. Haven't talked this guy into a track day yet but I've mentioned it. I think he'll leave me far behind out there with that power/weight.

Let us know how you do against him, I'm sure your car stands a much better chance than mine (not to mention you've got a lot more roadcourse time in than I do)

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Thanks for sharing the videos Brian. I may have misunderstand the class listing, but were 3rd behind a spec Miata and a M3?

Your time was super close to the LS RX7. No doubt you'll keep gaining too. Was your best time a clean run?

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, 3rd in the class (TTD). NASA uses their time trial classing for auto-x. It's points based, not mod based like SCCA. The spec miata guy is a SCCA national champ and both were on R's (RA-1's)
The Rx7 and I were the top 2 on street tires, so I think we'll have some good battles this season.
Thanks for the comments folks!

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
Very nice driving...thanks for sharing the video. :bigthumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts