Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics from opening weekend at AutoBahn CC Joliet,IL. Enjoy. I had fun tearing around the new track in the Black NSX and The GT2.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Looks like a nice bunch of cars. How's that new track? I'll look around for it, but do you have a link to that place?

I see that XKE there, looks just like the '67 Roadster I had except mine was maroon or whatever Jag called that color. I loved that car, sorry I sold it.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Wow - that's quite an array of cars! :bowdown:

Did you ever notice that the Elise looks like a happy face from the front but a sad face from the rear?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The new track is sweet....except that on the back straight away there is a rise and a dip where the faster cars get airborn!!! But that makes it kind of fun too!

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Not another one of those things :dunno: I thought that was a riced up MR2 ;)

j/k, I didn't notice it since it's yellow ...and maybe cause I wasn't paying attention.

I've only seen one in person on the street, but I guess that's one more than most people. It was parked in the front lot/parking area of Algar, the Ferrari/Maserati dealer in Rosemont PA. I did a double take, went around the block very fast, parked my Supra next to it ...but not too close... then realized I didn't even have a camera damn it., The roof was open, I walked around gawking at it for a long time and nobody even came out to ask me what's up or get away from it. I love that car, one of my favorite of all time.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Carrera GT's were cool. THere were two of them there a silver one and a yellow one. THey were giving rides to anyone that wanted one. I took a ride and it was incredible! On the back straight it got all four wheels off the ground over the rise!! Unbelievable. I didn
t expect it to be that fast since it is still very heavy. But I was wrong....dead wrong. HA!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If people are catching air on the back straight, I think it is a safe bet that "design" (design flaw) will not last long until somebody gets hurt or insurance finds out and says change it or no insurance. Big air, high speeds, and track days is not a good recipe for a safe event especially what is an "amatuer event".

But a very nice line up of cars. They probably would not let my POS looking car run that place. As it sits up now on jackstands undergoing a complete suspension/bushing/brake upgrade rebuild.

I'll take the cosworth v8 Shadow F1 car and a fresh change of nomex underwear. I bet that car was wicked if let loose on the track properly.

Barry H.

·
Registered
164 Posts
550orM5 said:
The Carrera GT's were cool. THere were two of them there a silver one and a yellow one. THey were giving rides to anyone that wanted one. I took a ride and it was incredible!
It's nice to see owners of those kinds of cars being cool and not cocky...
On the back straight it got all four wheels off the ground over the rise!! Unbelievable.
:eek3:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bwill said:
If people are catching air on the back straight, I think it is a safe bet that "design" (design flaw) will not last long until somebody gets hurt or insurance finds out and says change it or no insurance. Big air, high speeds, and track days is not a good recipe for a safe event especially what is an "amatuer event".

But a very nice line up of cars. They probably would not let my POS looking car run that place. As it sits up now on jackstands undergoing a complete suspension/bushing/brake upgrade rebuild.

I'll take the cosworth v8 Shadow F1 car and a fresh change of nomex underwear. I bet that car was wicked if let loose on the track properly.

Barry H.

It is a design flaw and they are already correcting it! But you are right it would be a serious liability. They are building a go-kart track and 1/4mile drag strip as I write this and they are going to cut out the high section and repave it. No worries.

The F1 car was LOUD! and it really flew....Did you see the rear disc brakes in that picture.... they are more center mounted than most brake systems. I thought that was kind of interesting.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah, inboard brakes were high tech back in those days. Glad to see they are taking out the abrupt elevation change. They did that at Road Altanta too due to flying car issues. I still remember being at the petit lemans when the Porsche got "clearance" for take off on the back straight (the video clip takes about ten seconds to load):

http://www.elchineroconcepts.com/Porsche GT-1 .mpg

He was hammer down in fourth but got too close to the car in front of him and when he went over the rise it was just close enough to lose aero downforce on the front (from the draft) to get air under the car. The drivers had been warned before the race to be careful not to get too close to the car ahead at that very spot to avoid getting air. Oh well.

I remember his post race interview where the driver in watching the video of his own crash stated, "I was impressed with the height of the car".

Barry H.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
550orM5 said:
Did you see the rear disc brakes in that picture.... they are more center mounted than most brake systems. I thought that was kind of interesting.
then Barry said: "Yeah, inboard brakes were high tech back in those days."

As you may or may not know, all XKE's also had inboard rear brakes ...reduced unsprung weight is the name of that game.

·
Lost in Dawg-land
550 Posts
Nice variety of cars. Makes things interesting to watch. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts