Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've been Autocrossing a handful of times in my FR-S under STX class.. But I've never Autocrossed with my MK3. From what I've read online and just knowing this car, it doesn't seem like they'd be competitive.

I'm not trying to win anything; just trying to go out and have fun. But I at least want to be in the best class I could be, in case I want to do more events.

Anyways, it seems like engine-swapped cars would have typically only qualified for Street Modified, right? But reading through the rules, there's a relatively new class called Extreme Street. It seems like any engine can be used, even non-US engines like the 1JZ. Forgive me if this is wrong...I'm trying to understand the rulebook and interpret it as best as I can lol.

Has anyone tried XS (Extreme Street)? Or talked to anyone that has? Thoughts on where I would be best placed? 1JZ-swapped MK3 Supra, stock body, mild weight reduction, continental Extreme Contact DWS-06

·
Registered
595 Posts
If I'm reading the solo rules correctly, it looks like your MK3 can fit into SM if it meets this: "Regardless of the weight formulas above, no car will be required to weigh more than 3100 lbs"
Otherwise, XSA class is where you might fit in. XSA - for rear wheel drive cars weighing 2750 lbs (min.) without driver.
I think XSA would be preferred since it has 0.843 index compared to SM's 0.861 index.
You should contact your local autocross club just to verify your car class, that's what I did when I first autocrossed my MK3.

·
Super Moderator
12,356 Posts
@te72 Brad is our resident 1JZ cone-carver, and he might have some insight from Auto-Xing his 1JZ MK3.

I'm interested in hearing about new SCCA classes, as that has needed to evolve for a LONG time.

·
Premium Member
89 Turbo Targa
137 Posts
Your MKIIII can be very competitive provided it’s set up nicely for auto x courses.

Been long time since we competitively raced scca in our 87 turbo and have no idea what these new classes are for these.

The one thing that put us at a disadvantage back then was the turbo.
It put us in the same class as the 5.0 stangs & camaros. We had a weight disadvantage against them but, set up properly we could hang.
They considered the turbocharged version of the MKIII’s as a modified car even though it was stock from factory.
Not fair then yes… but there were limited amounts of classes for such cars then. It was still a blast!

I would also like to hear what the new classes are now…. Just for curiosity sake.

Setup; Negative camber up front, short courses a tad toe-out, sticky tires and you’re set.

Go have some fun…..

·
Registered
595 Posts
Search for a free download of SCCA solo rules, it's worth the read to see how cars are classed, etc.

If running the stock powertrain/drivetrain, I can see 3 classes available for our Supra MK3:
F Street (FS) Class for turbocharged MK3's
H Street (HS) Class for NA MK3's
E Street Prepared for all MK3's

FS and HS classes are basically stock but with a few allowances. i.e., swapping out one swaybar (or remove it), 200TDW tires, wheel diameter can be increased/decreased by 1" but with OEM width, and others.
In FS class, turbo MK3's will run against Mustangs, Camaros, BMW 3 series, Cadillac ATS/CTS, Tesla model S to name a few.
I hardly see any HS class cars at my local clubs but if one shows up, it'll most likely be a FWD car.
Street Prepared will give you more allowances on mods and upgrades. This is where my MK3 is classed, and last month I was up against two Mustangs (Bullitt and GT), a G35, and a Cadillac ATS-V.

I'm not competitive but I do enjoy it especially since I autocross with my son. (y)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
@NARFALICIOUS You have a pretty good understanding of the classing. Personally I would shoot for SM, but my car is largely setup for this sort of thing, I want an uphill battle. SM has few rules, and you'll run into cars that are built accordingly, depending on region. XS-A would also be a good option, it's about as close to a CAM style class as we're likely to get for imports. I always wanted to compete in CAM... my car may not have been born in America, but it sure was built here!

SCCA used to be really strict on modifications, but they've finally put in a handful of classes that allow for cars that are built by tinkerers like us. The 1jz swap at one point would have basically been put straight into a modified class, even if it were bone stock, because it wasn't the original engine, regardless of the fact that they were built with that engine, just... not here. Things like moving the intercooler from its stock location? Straight to modified classes. Changed out the turbo? Straight to modified classes. You get the point. XS-A/B are a breath of fresh air. :)

Set the car up like @SkipShot suggests, and you'll do fine. In my experience, the things that have let me down the most have been the power steering and the R154. Keep your rpm's reasonable if you're going for that 1-2 shift... Oh, and if you can swing it, you're gonna want a proper tire. A dedicated wheel / tire setup is absolutely the way to go. You're just gonna chew those DWS's up in an event or two, guaranteed. A proper tire will not only be more fun and more competitive, but it will last longer.

@OldBonus Has plenty of experience in this world too. The classes he lists though, I see some issues, and I will explain why.

FS - You're gonna get whooped on. Modern cars are no joke, though most of the faster modern muscle cars are in BS it seems.

HS - You're gonna get whooped on. Some old fart with a Fiesta ST is gonna take every corner with one rear wheel in the air, and take fifth overall for raw time. Ask me how I know...

ESP - You're gonna get whooped on. This is where the stupidly fast Miatas are often classed. You could stick a national level driver behind the wheel of the most sorted Mk3 in the world, and I still suspect that a halfway decently driven ESP Miata is gonna be 1-2 seconds ahead.

I love my Mk3, and it's an absolute hoot and a half to tear up the cones in. People love riding in it. I love giving rides. Kids love the pop up headlights and the occasional fireball out the exhaust. Fellow coneheads love seeing such an old car able to more or less keep up. Despite all that though... my bone stock NB Miata with a set of tires and a less-than-ideal alignment is easily a second faster on any course I've ever played on.

Even if you can drive around the throttle response (or lack thereof) of a turbo engine, you can't defy physics and negate the fact that the car is 3500+ lbs. They can only stuff so much rubber under them without needing to widen the body. Their turning radius sucks, thanks to massively oversized lower control arms. Cool as a Mk3 is, and as capable as they can be, "competitive" is not a word I'd generally use to describe them in an autocross situation. All that said? Slap on a set of heat cycled Falken RT660's in as wide as you can fit (a set of 275's will fit all around on a 10" wheel IF you get spacing correct and don't mind massaging your fenders), and go get ya some!

@Wreckless Thanks for referring me to this thread! :)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
@te72 You're so spot on with MK3's getting whooped on, lol!
Oh yeah... been there. My car could definitely use a harness bar and some proper belts, and possibly seats if the harness doesn't hold me in better. The car can grip far better than the seat can, that's for sure. That said... after switching to the G25-660, I'm really looking forward to getting my steering rack sorted out (can't autocross these cars without power steering, open track and street / highway driving is one thing, autocross is very much another), and a functional transmission in mine. I bet I'm not too far off from any CAM-T cars I've ever seen, I might even beat most of them. CAM-C cars can just hit the easy button and stuff 305's all around, a Mk3 simply can't.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Going to a bucket seat (Sparco) was definitely a plus for me; keeps me in place and saved weight too. I have a harness and a harness bar but still undecided about running them since the OEM seat belt has been working out good so far.
I've read that G25s are responsive which is a big plus and should help your time; looking forward to seeing how it will run. And for sure fix that power steering and for the trans, you only need first and second gear don't you? lol.

One of my local clubs sometimes gets some wicked first gen Camaros running CAM-T, always blows me away to see how fast they run.
Yeah, fitting big tires on our MK3 is tricky. One of these days, I'll switch my front tires from 265 to 275 ...
Here's some CAM-T:
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
@OldBonus I have Sparco Sprint seats in my Exocet, for the price they're great. Not sure how I'd feel about one for a road trip though. Would prefer something that breathes better and probably reclines a bit, but the Mk3 has a tilt steering wheel, so ingress / egress wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is in the Exocet. Probably go for a Bride seat eventually, for that proper "fit" for the style factor. Bonus points that they're comfy.

The G25 is an incredibly responsive turbo. Spools like stock twins on a 1jz, but delivers 100hp/tq more, everywhere. Lot less complicated plumbing too.

As for the transmission, unfortunately... second gear is toast in mine. Kinda need that one the most. :p

Oh I'm well aware of what a CAM-T machine can be. All it takes is one guy like Mark Stilow to show up haha. Most of what shows up in Utah would be a good fit to benchmark for my Supra. I aim for the CAM-C cars, but there are a couple of them frequently in the top ten raw times... I can do that in the Exocet, but that car is easily 4 seconds faster than the Supra.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts