Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an Aristo swap in my IS300 with the A340e automatic. From what I've read the transmission can handle anywhere from 400-500 whp depending on driving habits.

My question is: What exactly is it about the power that kills these transmissions? Is it the high power, high rpm transition from gear to gear?

The reason I ask is that I generally just do single gear pulls. I don't drag race. Normally I do quick single gear pulls and let off. I never let the transmission shift at WOT. My driving habits are relatively normal otherwise and I'm generally easy on the car.

Are single gear pulls stressful on a transmission or is it the shifting that causes them to die? Or both? I know heat plays a factor. Someone educate me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
I have not broken mine (yet) but I understand the problem is letting it shift during a burnout - rolling the 2nd gear sprag. I don't do burnouts but I do motivate around road courses a bit and have had no problems.
I have about 136K miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My main concern I guess is if a higher horsepower 2nd or 3rd gear pull is stressful on the transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heat kills this trans. I have a stock auto in my car now, and only did 4 wot pulls so far. 600+HP. Wouldn't recommend it. 2-3 is pretty strong. Just the 1-2 isn't. Plus No overdrive
Cool thanks for the info

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
If you want it to live for a while then don't let it shift 1-2 at WOT and only do 2-3 roll on WOT pulls. Don't let it shift into O/D under WOT at any time. I ran a single turbo for a year or so back in 2005 with the stock converter/trans and an SP63 kit making 535whp. This is what I did. The trans was fine when I took it out and replaced it with a BL unit and high stall converter.

Steve K.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want it to live for a while then don't let it shift 1-2 at WOT and only do 2-3 roll on WOT pulls. Don't let it shift into O/D under WOT at any time. I ran a single turbo for a year or so back in 2005 with the stock converter/trans and an SP63 kit making 535whp. This is what I did. The trans was fine when I took it out and replaced it with a BL unit and high stall converter.

Steve K.
Basically what I wanted to know. This is essentially all I do anyways. Plus currently only running 400 whp if I had to guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts