Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was having a few issues w/ my A340e not shifting properly a while back & the fluid was burnt to hell, so a few weeks ago I finally got around to performing a full tranny flush. During the process I had removed the trans pan, filter, & valve body for inspection. Don't really know why I removed the valve body, but when I did a couple of the spring loaded piston head looking things popped out of the bottom of the trans. When I put everything back together I used a spare tranny I picked up as a guide to make sure everything went back together properly & all the springs & piston head lookin things went back where they were supposed to. Finished my flush & did the best I could to make sure the tranny was filled to the proper level. Took it out & the thing seems to shift really good w/ no noticeable problems, but my fluid level now reads well above the "hot" mark on the dipstick when the car is cold and reads dead on the "cold" mark after a drive. Not sure why it's doing this as i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the other way around. Anybody got any ideas or know who I might could ask??? Thanks in advance, D.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sounds normal, I believe the proper way to measure is with the car fully warm and in neutral. You may need to add a touch of fluid based on what you're saying.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i'm with you on the hot reading & needing to add a little, but I don't ever remember seeing that much fluid on my dipstick when everything was cold. It's like something is now allowing too much fluid to drain back into the pan or something. I just don't wanna add more fluid & end up w/ too much fluid in the system & damage something.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
yes, always check autos when they are fully warmed up and run put it through all gears (at least reverse and D) then let it sit for a sec while still running and check it to the hot line... the cold line is really useless since the level will change depending on how long you leave it sit

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to put a washer back on my trans pan bolt anyway, so I may drain the pan & see how much drains out. If some crazy amount drains out ima guess I have a problem. If not, i'll just refill & add a bit to bring it up to the "H" mark when hot. Gotta go look up how much fluid is supposed to drain out on a drain & refill.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Read the owner's manual. It tells you how to properly read the oil level. Warm the car up by taking it on a short drive. Park it on level ground. Keep the engine running and run the gear selector from P position to every other position, returning to P on every change i.e. P to N to P, P to R to P, P to D to P, P to 2 to P, P to 1 to P. With the engine stilling running, check the oil level. It should be between the low and high mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts