Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my automatic supra the tranny won't shift from P to D i press the brake and everything but it won't shift. Now there's a little hole next to it, that i tought it was for the key to unlock it well the key doesn't fit so i use a paperclip and then it shifts. I took the dash apart and i can see that for some reason it doesn't unlock it when i put the key in so i need your help figuring out how to fix this.

Thanks in advance

·
Very Senior Member
10,066 Posts
94twinturbo said:
on my automatic supra the tranny won't shift from P to D i press the brake and everything but it won't shift. Now there's a little hole next to it, that i tought it was for the key to unlock it well the key doesn't fit so i use a paperclip and then it shifts. I took the dash apart and i can see that for some reason it doesn't unlock it when i put the key in so i need your help figuring out how to fix this.

Thanks in advance
That little hole is, as you found out, a release on the tranny lockout. I've had to use it a couple of times - but never found out why. It just worked the next time.
I don't know if your problem is the interlock with the brake or the ignition itself. Are you saying that putting the key in the ignition does not trigger it?

I would like to know the answer so I can fix it when mine goes out! :confused:

·
Registered
350 Posts
94twinturbo said:

Thanks in advance

If you have to use lock-out bypass to take the tranny out of park then the fuse for the brake lights is blown.

The tranny lock-out switch and the brake lights share the same electricle circuit and fuse.

To test press the brake peddle and check if the lights are working.

Over the years I have had this fuse fail three times resulting in not being able to take the car out of park.

·
Registered
166 Posts
incidently...which fuse is the brake light fuse? i have no panel box to instruct me and i'm having the same problem. I recently had issues with the tail light box in back in the trunk and had to reconfigure all the wires and replace the box. It worked for a month and it seems something blew. I inspected the box and it seems fine, there's either a short in the wiring somewhere or the fuse blew, problem is i don't know which one. To make matters more complicated all the fuses seemingly look okay but i'd have to know exactly which fuse it is and replace it anyway to be positive. So..which fuse is it? sorry if i ranted, thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts