Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Cheifbootknocka
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but the search feature keeps throwing up blank pages.
I want to hear good and bad things (also stories) about peoples stock or built TT autos. What brands of trannys, what brands of converters etc...
I'm not sure what HP range im aiming for yet, I think around 550-600 RWHP.

Thanks,

James
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,132 Posts
For reference, my car was stock twins, TTC, 23psi, MS109 gas... high 400rwhp high 400rwtq

Lets start with transmissions

I have used the STC Built trans.... and it blew up
Then I used the SP Stage 2... and it blew up

I used a Precision lock up converter... which blew up
moved to a Precision non-lockup... that also blew up
then finally decided to go with a Midwest.... which blew up

Im not bashing these transbuilders... im just showing that a toyota transmission will NOT hold power... in the cases that it does, its for a short period of time, or the person is really really lucky
*now im going to quote larry*
Sound Performance said:
There is no way to put any HP level on these trannys. I can tell you that it will be as strong as any built Toyota tranny out there. If you think that a Toyota tranny will be 100 % reliable at 750+ RWHP you are kidding yourself. Do not be fooled by other tranny company's advertising.... I get calls from people with broken trannys from EVERY manufacturer or Toyota trannys out there.

If you have a single turbo and you want 100% reliability, there is only one option...... and it is not a Toyota tranny.

Larry
SP
now im going to try to save you a headache and tell you to go with a SP400... because i coulda gone with 2 by now

The price of a Stage 3 SP trans + converter is the same as a Forward Pattern (w/engine braking) TH400 + converter thats reliable upto 900hp and is completely streetable

hope that helped!
 

·
Cheifbootknocka
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
swearitsstock said:
...Now im going to try to save you a headache and tell you to go with a SP400... because i coulda gone with 2 by now

hope that helped!
Thats what I have been looking into. I just thought if the BL tranny was worth it then I wouldnt have to do all these other little parts and cutting etc (cause this is going in my GS300)
Im also looking at doing a 4L80e instead of the TH400 but cant get an answer from anyone if it will fit or not.
 

·
The Hustler
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
swearitsstock said:
For reference, my car was stock twins, TTC, 23psi, MS109 gas... high 400rwhp high 400rwtq

Lets start with transmissions

I have used the STC Built trans.... and it blew up
Then I used the SP Stage 2... and it blew up

I used a Precision lock up converter... which blew up
moved to a Precision non-lockup... that also blew up
then finally decided to go with a Midwest.... which blew up

Im not bashing these transbuilders... im just showing that a toyota transmission will NOT hold power... in the cases that it does, its for a short period of time, or the person is really really lucky
*now im going to quote larry*


now im going to try to save you a headache and tell you to go with a SP400... because i coulda gone with 2 by now

The price of a Stage 3 SP trans + converter is the same as a Forward Pattern (w/engine braking) TH400 + converter thats reliable upto 900hp and is completely streetable

hope that helped!
Enough Said!
He's right. TH400 all the way!
 

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Is there any other domestic autos that we can use besides the TH400 which on have 3 gears? I mean even with the od unit which makes it six ratios but still.
 

·
The Hustler
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
You could run a TH350 but they are not as tough. A power glide will also work but they are only 2sp. for Dragracing use.
 

·
Cheifbootknocka
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello People the 4L60 and 4L80 are 4spd autos and have the same bolt pattern. I just cant get an answer from the different manufacturers if they will work with the adapters that are currently on the market.
If anyone has experience with one of these, please chime in.
 

·
Cheifbootknocka
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
TooJayZee said:
Hello People the 4L60 and 4L80 are 4spd autos and have the same bolt pattern. I just cant get an answer from the different manufacturers if they will work with the adapters that are currently on the market.
If anyone has experience with one of these, please chime in.
BTW: I got the search function to work and found this great thread from a few years ago http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225332&highlight=4l80
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
I have a BL built tranny and PI 3800 TC...been in my T67 Sinlge MKIV for about 9 months with no known issues...but I hardly drive the car or take it to the track...though do drive it hard when I get in it. Just my 2cents...

TooJayZee said:
I searched but the search feature keeps throwing up blank pages.
I want to hear good and bad things (also stories) about peoples stock or built TT autos. What brands of trannys, what brands of converters etc...
I'm not sure what HP range im aiming for yet, I think around 550-600 RWHP.

Thanks,

James
 

·
Cheifbootknocka
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HmoobSUPRA said:
...but I hardly drive the car or take it to the track...though do drive it hard when I get in it. Just my 2cents...
So you mean you drive the hell out of it when it does get driven ?
Cause I would want the ability to beat the snot out of it on a daily basis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
TooJayZee said:
So you mean you drive the hell out of it when it does get driven ?
Cause I would want the ability to beat the snot out of it on a daily basis.
Yup...not much you can do with an auto but slam the gas pedal and hold tight... :ugh2: Just be sure to monitor your tranny temp...cause it can get hot real quick. I have two coolers (one with a fan)...my temp sensor is drilled into the oil pan.
 

·
VPC Power
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
swearitsstock said:
For reference, my car was stock twins, TTC, 23psi, MS109 gas... high 400rwhp high 400rwtq

Lets start with transmissions

I have used the STC Built trans.... and it blew up
Then I used the SP Stage 2... and it blew up

I used a Precision lock up converter... which blew up
moved to a Precision non-lockup... that also blew up
then finally decided to go with a Midwest.... which blew up

Im not bashing these transbuilders... im just showing that a toyota transmission will NOT hold power... in the cases that it does, its for a short period of time, or the person is really really lucky
*now im going to quote larry*


now im going to try to save you a headache and tell you to go with a SP400... because i coulda gone with 2 by now

The price of a Stage 3 SP trans + converter is the same as a Forward Pattern (w/engine braking) TH400 + converter thats reliable upto 900hp and is completely streetable

hope that helped!
How did I know you would be in this thread? :1poke:
 

·
Car guy
Joined
·
803 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I want to go single but I hear of alot of auto's can't handle the power. Anyone else want to chime in with good or bad stories. Isn't the 2nd gear strague what always breaks? Does anyone make a stronger one? I'd like to stay auto if possible but don't really want a th400 in there. John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,269 Posts
Hang tight, the SP4L80E kit is currently in development..... I have the converter built, and the Toyota bellhousing on the 4L80E tranny..... just a little more work to do!! The factory computer and AEM will be able to shift the tranny..... I should have a car up and running on this in mid summer!!



Lar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
When you say, "factory computer and AEM," is it mandatory to have both AEM and the ECU to have your 4L80E to shift correctly?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,269 Posts
Marc-P said:
When you say, "factory computer and AEM," is it mandatory to have both AEM and the ECU to have your 4L80E to shift correctly?

No I meant either or...... I know the AEM will shift it.... not 100% sure on the factory but I will try.
 

·
ur moms favourite
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Isnt the ford c4 trans another option? I hear those are being built damn tough these days. Also, the GM TH700 4speed trans is being modded quite heavily at least in australia - worth a look.
 

·
Cheifbootknocka
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sound Performance said:
Hang tight, the SP4L80E kit is currently in development..... I have the converter built, and the Toyota bellhousing on the 4L80E tranny..... just a little more work to do!! The factory computer and AEM will be able to shift the tranny..... I should have a car up and running on this in mid summer!!
Lar
Thats great news ! I cant wait to hear more.
Have you looked at doing the non electronic shift as an option as well ?
 
1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Top