Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a couple of posts that talked about Autometer gauges being inaccurate...

Does anyone have any details on this, and an explanation for why they think this is so?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I got a boost vac gauge for my birthday for my lovely wife. I stupidly did not realize that it should not read -12 Hg/in when turned off( it said it was calibrated and inspected) result was a dead turbo # 2 when I tried to go 10 past 15 psi... 15 psi + 12:( ) The replacement guage is okay. I wanted a gauge which read in psi I would spend a few more dollars and get a defi they read in psi and are electric instead of manual.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I find it doubtful that a company that sells as many gauges as autometer does not produce a decent product. Of course there are going to be a few bad parts but thats something that can apply to any manufacturer. I might not use something like an EGT gauge from them or an A/F gauge since they are heavily dependant on the probe used.

Does anyone actually believe blitz, Greddy and others make their own gauges. Of course they don't. I always wonder why a name brand boost gauge costs like $150 ->$15 gauge, $5 electronics and $130 box!! Their gauges might use higher quality parts but I find it highly doubtful that their parts are 4X better. They do offer more features but my blitz turbo timer also shows boost with a peak reading feature and it only cost me $35 dollars more than a regular turbo timer.

Besides gauges aren't exactly rocket science. You can buy an unlit industrial boost/vacuum gauge for like $4 used. Looks EXACTLY like a automotive boost gauge.

As for the whole electronic vs mechanical debate. The gauges are either exactly the same OR the mechanical would probably be more accurate.

electronic
read pressure -> translate to electronic signal -> interpret/display electronic signal

mechanical
read/display pressure
or
read pressure -> translate to electronic signal -> interpret electronic signal in gauge

Are defi gauges the networked gauges. Those gauges I actually like. Not that I would spend all that money but they're still cool.

A

·
0 Posts
Well, they are not that bad. But they do have a tendency to be somewhere +/-8%.

For good low priced gauges, I recommend VDO. Generally within 2% accuracy for about the same price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts