Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished installing the Autopower roll bar in my '97. You have to remove the seats (my rear was already removed) and the interior trim covering the speakers. The carpet needs to be pulled up in the back seat area. The door sill trim piece pulls straight up to free up the carpet, which is tacked to a plastic section which, like the door sill trim, has tabs. The interior trim pieces which cover the rear speakers have tabs along their top edge which snap horizontally into place. Once the retaining screws are removed, and the targa top storage feet removed, the trim piece pulls straight out from the upper trim panel.

The forward legs of the roll bar bolt to the rear seat floor area. The aft legs bolt to the rear fender well through the speaker grill openings in the trim panels. 3 bolts per leg. Autopower supplies the bolts and backup plates. The floor pan is not perfectly flat, but will flatten as the bolts are tightened and the sheet metal is sandwiched. There are holes already in the floor pan which have plastic covers. One of the bolts goes through these large existing holes on each side.

The rear footwell carpet needs to be cut to accomodate the roll bar. I cut the carpet vertically from behind the roll bar and then cut a circular hole for the bar. The pictures should make this more clear.

I removed the front and rear seat belts at this time, which saves a few pounds. The front seat belts have a sensor which needs to be "circuit completed" in order to avoid having the seat belt caution light on all the time.

When doing the final bolt up of the roll bar, it is best to leave the trim panels loose to get a wrench on the rear supports. The total weight of the roll bar is about 45 lbs. The targa storage is not affected.

If you guys have any more questions, drop me an email and I'll be glad to answer them. Autopower takes a few weeks to make these - they're not in stock.

More pix available.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Thanks for the writeup Jeff.
So you're saying that all the bolts slide into existing body holes? Do you have the removeable side bar? I'm not sure where that would bolt into the area near the pedals. Where did you order it and how much was it? {you can email me this at [email protected] if you wish} Pics of the mounting points would be nice. It's a shame this setup isn't NHRA legal to run sub 12 ETs. The similar 'Autoform' bolt-ins for the Viper and Vette are. I wonder if techs even inspect the rollbar or just see the "Autopower" logo and dismiss it. ?

Thanks

John H

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John H said:
Thanks for the writeup Jeff.
So you're saying that all the bolts slide into existing body holes? Do you have the removeable side bar? I'm not sure where that would bolt into the area near the pedals. Where did you order it and how much was it? {you can email me this at [email protected] if you wish} Pics of the mounting points would be nice. It's a shame this setup isn't NHRA legal to run sub 12 ETs. The similar 'Autoform' bolt-ins for the Viper and Vette are. I wonder if techs even inspect the rollbar or just see the "Autopower" logo and dismiss it. ?

Thanks

John H
John - You do have to drill holes for the installation. Only one of the holes is existing. The roll bar doesn't have side bars, only the roll hoop and 2 legs that go into the speaker grill opening. There are a total of 4 feet, with 3 bolts each. Legs bolt onto sleeves on the hoop, otherwise it would have to be welded in place to initially get it in the car. I don't drag race so I'm not sure how drag events tech roll bars. At road events, Autopower is a known quantity, and typically just passed through tech. For unlimited wheel to wheel racing, a roll cage is normally required. For the Solo events and open track days I do, not even a roll bar is mandated. I am using harnesses and felt it was foolish to do high speed work on the track without a roll bar. I don't use the back seat anyway. I'll send you pictures. Retail price is $320 for bar and $60 for optional harness tube. You can order directly from Autopower in So. Cal. (619 297-3300) or through me.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts