Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 87 automatic N/A in August, love the car. But I knew eventually I was gonna swap it for a 5 speed. Well, it is the time. Found a W58 for $450 with clutch fork, flywheels, clutch assembly, slave, lines, etc. Has anyone else done it on here? And can anybody give me advice for the swap. I know it’s not the most desirable choice, but at this point, I’m just waiting to 1j and r154 swap it. The automatic is slipping, and hard going into gear.

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
You will need the driveshaft also, the W58 doesn't match the auto splines.

And you auto probably just needs a new filter, and complete fluid change.
They act up when the filter gets plugged, which starves the pump, reducing the pressure that holds the clutches engaged. So they slip, and don't shift properly.
Find a place that has the pump style fluid changer, as it will flush all the old fluid out of the converter, which is left behind when you just drain the oil in the pan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually work at a Mobil 1, first thing I did was drained all the fluids, and changed the filters. Still slips, and I check them every other day. The magnet in the bottom of the pan wasn’t to coated, and the gal had it done 10,000 miles ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts