Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a MKIV TT and noticed some oil in the HKS BOV and I'm assuming it's from the stock twins. There is some slight residue in the lower IC piping, but nothing crazy. The car has 67k miles and I was curious if the stock twins could be on there way out already. I tried a few different search's and no answers. So basically what is the average life of the stock twins you guys are seeing? Thanks- Newbie

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
A little bit of oil in the IC pipes is normal. The life of the twins usually depends on how hard they are boosted. I believe there is someone on the forum with original stock twins and has a ton of miles on them already. You'll know where they're about to go also due to the "death whine". You can go to www.mkiv.com to hear what it sounds like.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
mine lasted 101k and still boosted fine when taken off, but were on their way out. These were not babied at all 18-22psi all the time. Always turbo timed though.

Lawrence

·
former SVB
1,155 Posts
With BPU after about 70K you are on borrowed time. Which HKS BOV do you have and why? I'd think about removing it, the HKS SSBOV will cause compressor surge on a BPU car, that cha cha cha sound is not good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got 135,000 on my originals....little oil, but hold 19psi to redline...just take good care of them...oil changes at 2500 and always time them....

·
Super Moderator
10,808 Posts
BAD4UrHeart, a member of this board, got 197,000 miles on his twins before going single.

Ken.

·
Registered
967 Posts
KenHenderson said:
BAD4UrHeart, a member of this board, got 197,000 miles on his twins before going single.

Ken.

Nice, I think I read about that story, was it listed "R.I.P 1st turbo" or something? Wasnt he BPU for a long time as well?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Change your oil frequently.

Don't do extended highway pulls.

Warm up your turbos at startup and cool them down at shutoff.

And your stock turbos will last the life of your car, even at BPU levels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts