Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know of a.place that can make a awd conversion kit with a manual transmission with the 2jz for the mk4 supra

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't think it's have been done with a manual transmission. And I read that they only have done it in a RHD because of clearance, but still only with an automatic transmission.

/ Danny

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The R34 GTR uses the V161 Getrag center section for it's transmission with a transfer case off the back of it. Perhaps it might be possible to fit that setup?

·
Registered
251 Posts
cant do it with the gtr 6 speed due to the t-case on the trans being on the passenger side. 2j awd oil pan has the front diff of the driverside.

im actually working on an awd mk4 setup using a Mercedes 5 speed auto. im waiting for the pan,diff and shocks I ordered from japan to start mocking everything up.
In my opinion it will be easier than most think due to most part being bolt on. motor mounts need to be fabricated for sure

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
It can be done without too much hassle with RHD Supra but VERY difficult with LHD vehicle due to where the steering shaft is located on the LHD car. It interferes with the front driveline components. RHD guys can use the Chaser AWD transmission with some minor custom fab work to make it work with the Supra.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I just dont like the idea of an awd mk4...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
waste of money .... go buy a new gtr for the money it would cost you to do it correctly

·
Registered
251 Posts
New gtr= 70k. the people who did the mk4 awd conversion in russia said it would be about 15k for the conversion (which was done correctly).
im in the process of getting the parts together to make this happen and im trying to see if i can keep it under 15k.
you can either go with the chaser, gita, aristo zi-four or brevis auto which all share a343f trans (awd a340) or what im trying to do is use the mercedes 5 speed that comes with the transfer case on the driver side. Mercedes trans built has been proven over 1500whp and 1000lbs on a 4800lb car

·
Registered
202 Posts
cant do it with the gtr 6 speed due to the t-case on the trans being on the passenger side. 2j awd oil pan has the front diff of the driverside.

im actually working on an awd mk4 setup using a Mercedes 5 speed auto. im waiting for the pan,diff and shocks I ordered from japan to start mocking everything up.
In my opinion it will be easier than most think due to most part being bolt on. motor mounts need to be fabricated for sure
wery interesting. I have thought on this too with my car.

/ Danny

·
Always on pump gas...
701 Posts
Just a friendly tidbit of info, the Lexus LS460 AWD has a front differential mounted on the right side, and it's the same 3.13 ratio as a 6spd rear. I'm sure someone could make a tubular crossmember and have mounting points for that front diff, while using the awd 2jz pan to pass an axle through.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just a friendly tidbit of info, the Lexus LS460 AWD has a front differential mounted on the right side, and it's the same 3.13 ratio as a 6spd rear. I'm sure someone could make a tubular crossmember and have mounting points for that front diff, while using the awd 2jz pan to pass an axle through.

the 2jz front diff actually bolts to the 2jz block itself you would have to make some kind of adapter plate to mount it but then you might run into clearance issues due to the adapter pushing the differ further out from the block.
if your set on the 6 speed then in my opinion trying to find a way to clock the t-case to the driver side would be they way I would go about it

·
Always on pump gas...
701 Posts
the 2jz front diff actually bolts to the 2jz block itself you would have to make some kind of adapter plate to mount it but then you might run into clearance issues due to the adapter pushing the differ further out from the block.
if your set on the 6 speed then in my opinion trying to find a way to clock the t-case to the driver side would be they way I would go about it
You seem to have misunderstood what I said. I am well aware of the clearance issues regarding the 2jz front diff and LHD steering box. You would not use a 2jz front diff, you would use the 2jz AWD PAN ONLY (for the axle pass through) , and make a custom crossmember with mounting brackets to use the USDM AWD Lexus LS460's front differential, which is meant for being used on the right of the car and could accept a driveshaft from a GTR Getrag trans (also, right side) and shares the same final drive ratio as the us 6 speed rear end (3.13). At that point it's a matter of getting axles made up.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
You seem to have misunderstood what I said. I am well aware of the clearance issues regarding the 2jz front diff and LHD steering box. You would not use a 2jz front diff, you would use the 2jz AWD PAN ONLY (for the axle pass through) , and make a custom crossmember with mounting brackets to use the USDM AWD Lexus LS460's front differential, which is meant for being used on the right of the car and could accept a driveshaft from a GTR Getrag trans (also, right side) and shares the same final drive ratio as the us 6 speed rear end (3.13). At that point it's a matter of getting axles made up.
the supra 3.13 is the rear diff gearing not the trans... on a side note the r34 rear gear ratio if im not mistaken is a 3.54 which is similar to the rare UK supra tt diff which had something like a 3.55
i didnt mention anything about the clearance of the lhd steering box... what i was saying was that if the ls430 front diff is like the 2jz front diff that its mounted to the oil pan then it wouldnt work unless you make some type of mounting points on that side(passenger) of the 2j pan to mate it up. if the ls430 is a standalone diff(not bolted to pan) the we would run into some serious clearance issues between the frame rails annnnnnnddd be crazy tight fitment for the turbo setups. another issue worth mentioning is if i remember correctly is that someone who has first hand knowledge on these skyline getrag awd 6 speeds is that to mount those transmissions to a 2jz would be a bigger MISSION than installling the whole awd system itself.
would be nice though as i wouldnt have to sell my 6 speed with tilton clutch and go auto.

sweet shit about going with the oem 2jz awd setup is that all parts are bolt on except a few minor parts. most involved part would be the custom motor mounts and the cutting a hole in the trans tunnel to clear the transfer case. everything else is cake. i should be getting most of the parts in by the end of next month. ill post pics of all the parts before i start installing them.
once i get the car running ill provide all the jdm part #'s and contacts in japan that can get these parts to u. shipping was about $350-$400 to miami florida

·
Always on pump gas...
701 Posts
the supra 3.13 is the rear diff gearing not the trans... on a side note the r34 rear gear ratio if im not mistaken is a 3.54 which is similar to the rare UK supra tt diff which had something like a 3.55
i didnt mention anything about the clearance of the lhd steering box... what i was saying was that if the ls430 front diff is like the 2jz front diff that its mounted to the oil pan then it wouldnt work unless you make some type of mounting points on that side(passenger) of the 2j pan to mate it up. if the ls430 is a standalone diff(not bolted to pan) the we would run into some serious clearance issues between the frame rails annnnnnnddd be crazy tight fitment for the turbo setups. another issue worth mentioning is if i remember correctly is that someone who has first hand knowledge on these skyline getrag awd 6 speeds is that to mount those transmissions to a 2jz would be a bigger MISSION than installling the whole awd system itself.
would be nice though as i wouldnt have to sell my 6 speed with tilton clutch and go auto.

sweet shit about going with the oem 2jz awd setup is that all parts are bolt on except a few minor parts. most involved part would be the custom motor mounts and the cutting a hole in the trans tunnel to clear the transfer case. everything else is cake. i should be getting most of the parts in by the end of next month. ill post pics of all the parts before i start installing them.
once i get the car running ill provide all the jdm part #'s and contacts in japan that can get these parts to u. shipping was about $350-$400 to miami florida
That's awesome that you're attempting it. I agree about the OEM Parts, which is why I was looking into it so much. Are you using most of the AWD stuff from the Altezza Gita, with the Chaser front spindles and whatnot? I know the Aristos had AWD as well. Are you attempting the Getrag 6spd or A340?
Take a look at this, this is the first time I've seen real pics of an LS460 front diff that wasn't a parts diagram, I just knew from research it was one of the few right side diffs and shared the same ratio as a 6spd rear so tire speed wouldn't be too different if you went with similar diameters all around. (MODS DONT BAN ME: ITS A LINK TO YOUR FAVORITE SITE) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-lexus-ls460-AWD-front-differential-/151665750374

It seems if the bellhousing and input shaft for a Getrag could be solved easily by using parts off a MKIV 6spd, the main fabrication requirements lie in a crossmember, possibly modifying a pan if the OEM won't work, and axles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts