Supra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
8,313 Posts
It would be cool to say this played out in a functional way that others could replicate...but I dunno, wish you luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's awesome that you're attempting it. I agree about the OEM Parts, which is why I was looking into it so much. Are you using most of the AWD stuff from the Altezza Gita, with the Chaser front spindles and whatnot? I know the Aristos had AWD as well. Are you attempting the Getrag 6spd or A340?
Take a look at this, this is the first time I've seen real pics of an LS460 front diff that wasn't a parts diagram, I just knew from research it was one of the few right side diffs and shared the same ratio as a 6spd rear so tire speed wouldn't be too different if you went with similar diameters all around. (MODS DONT BAN ME: ITS A LINK TO YOUR FAVORITE SITE) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-lexus-ls460-AWD-front-differential-/151665750374

It seems if the bellhousing and input shaft for a Getrag could be solved easily by using parts off a MKIV 6spd, the main fabrication requirements lie in a crossmember, possibly modifying a pan if the OEM won't work, and axles.
using gita pan and diff and aristo zi-four suspension components. if this works out well im pretty sure this would do able with a 1uz as well using the aristo zi-four pan. I6 AWD or V8 AWD pick your poison.
the diff in the pic looks just like the 2j front diff which is used on the tacoma as well.
the one on that ebay add look like it mounts on the driver side

·
Always on pump gas...
701 Posts
You may be right about it being a left side mounted differential. A parts diagram I looked at made it appear to be on the right ride but I just googled more pics of AWD LS's and it seems they're on the left side. There goes that Idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Keep it up guys. I can't what to see it happen with bolt on parts. What could be a manual awd transmission that I can use? And who can make me a custom front crossmember ?

·
Low Mile Supras
638 Posts
What jdm cars came with a compatable 2jz front diff besides the Altezza? How much power have the 2jz front differentials been proven to hold?

cant do it with the gtr 6 speed due to the t-case on the trans being on the passenger side. 2j awd oil pan has the front diff of the driverside.
When you say "2j awd oil pan", what car are you referring to?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
New gtr= 70k. the people who did the mk4 awd conversion in russia said it would be about 15k for the conversion (which was done correctly).
im in the process of getting the parts together to make this happen and im trying to see if i can keep it under 15k.
you can either go with the chaser, gita, aristo zi-four or brevis auto which all share a343f trans (awd a340) or what im trying to do is use the mercedes 5 speed that comes with the transfer case on the driver side. Mercedes trans built has been proven over 1500whp and 1000lbs on a 4800lb car
If someone made an awd supra I think it would whoop any UGR gallardo thrown at it.[/QUOTE. Any updates on the awd setup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
cant do it with the gtr 6 speed due to the t-case on the trans being on the passenger side. 2j awd oil pan has the front diff of the driverside.

im actually working on an awd mk4 setup using a Mercedes 5 speed auto. im waiting for the pan,diff and shocks I ordered from japan to start mocking everything up.
In my opinion it will be easier than most think due to most part being bolt on. motor mounts need to be fabricated for sure

im actually working on an awd mk4 setup using a Mercedes 5 speed auto. im waiting for the pan,diff and shocks I ordered from japan to start mocking everything up.
In my opinion it will be easier than most think due to most part being bolt on. motor mounts need to be fabricated for sure
Any updates?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Came across this video awhile back. It gets interesting at about the 5 minute mark. Contact that company and see what is good. Report back to us. Forgive me if links are not allowed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Came across this video awhile back. It gets interesting at about the 5 minute mark. Contact that company and see what is good. Report back to us. Forgive me if links are not allowed.

Thanks. I been on their website before and it looks like the 2jz to rb front differential/oil pan is still in prototype. I would like the getrag transmission but it's around $6000.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The thing about the russian awd setup was that it used a 2 speed auto with custom adapter to fit the atlas transfer case, the AWD was used just for launching and around the 60ft would switch to rwd. you can definitely bolt the Gita pan up but it wouldnt fit with stock supra subframe, cant use aristo suspension on a MKIV chassis either, then you would need to try and build the front diff to be able to hold decent power which would be difficult due to the size of the ring gear (7.5in) FYI the Russians didn't even use a 2jz they used a land cruiser motor made their own subframe/control arms/axles/oil pan. to mount a big ass front diff.

!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts