Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few things:

1) Can someone get under the car, put on the hand brake, and rotate their driveshaft by hand? I'de like to know about how much movement they can get on the driveshaft before the play is taken up? I noticed 90% of play is coming from both axle hubs. Driveshaft-to-rear diff seems to have almost no play (as soon as you turn the driveshaft, both axle inner-hubs begin to turn). But, those inner hubs will turn almost 1" before the axle shaft is engaged, and then finally stopped by the rear wheels/brakes. It almost looks as is the axles are worn and may need new bearings inside, unless this is normal. I'de say 60k miles on the axles.

2) Have many of you who've doen clutches had any problems with reinstalling the driveshaft/center carrier bearing assembly WITHOUT scoring/marking them before removing? I had made some heafty marks on the rear diff driveshaft and on the center shaft large NUT, but the marks dissapeared from the cleaning efforts. I'm sure the thing is completely out of phase, but wondered how forgiving these things can be with vibrations from assembly.

3) I don't remember having spacers between the center driveshaft carrier. Do most cars have them or not? I'm assuming each car will use them if they are needed from factory (driveshaft angle). Its a bit tricky to setup the angle when the car is in the air and not level to the ground.

·
Banned
663 Posts
Dre- the DS is independantly balanced, so it doesn't need to be marked, etc. My DS has a little play when I move it..its pretty normal, and I've seen it on all Supras.

There are washers that go on the carrier. Two of them IIRC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts