Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having all sorts of clutch problems lately and I just can not figure out what's going on. The springs in the RPS 6-puck disc I had awhile ago broke (for unknown reasons) and took out my rps pressure plate, aluminum flywheel, and my 4th syncro in my tranny... so I bought a new stock flywheel, rps pressure plate, and AZ disc, and after 2 weeks those were all destroyed as well. There's a huge groove in both the flywheel and pressure plate from the pucks on the disc, and the disc itself is worn down to the rivots. I was still breaking in my clutch when it broke; I wasn't even racing with it or anything. My only guess is that the clutch was not engaging fully, allowing the disc to slip like mad, and it just ate itself up. I can't figure out why though. Strangely I did not feel it slipping AT ALL until the day before it died. From what it sounds like.. there really is no adjustment on the clutch, except by the pedal. But as I understand it, if that was out of adjustment the clutch would not DISENGAGE, exactly opposite of what seems to be happening. So I don't know what to do.. my 6spd has turned out to be a nightmere; I would do anything to have an auto right now. I took some pretty good pics of the clutch if anyone is curious or wants to try and help me figure out what is going on. Those are at: http://64.225.101.133/clutch.htm

Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wholly crap! Don't tell me this now, I'm looking at this same exact clutch to install. :( I thought that disk was only good to 600 hp anyways. Damn, that sucks. Makes me want to get an auto...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naw, don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll be fine. My car is just cursed, that's all there is to it. Everyone I've talked to says they love their AZ clutch. I've been told that clutch is good for around 700rwhp or more. I know some people have even used it on 1000hp+ supras and from what I've heard it seems to work ok. I would try to stay away from the sprung rps 6-puck disc, however. Mine broke. Seems like a manufacturing problem to me.. maybe not though, who knows. Some other people I talked to had the same thing happen to them and couldn't figure it out.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are not cursed dude...the AZ disk was installed wrong, look at all the grinding damage to the rivets around the center cone section.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No dude, I really am cursed.. or else my car is. Everything that could possibly go wrong with it has. The day after I said "What's next, my tranny?" my clutch exploded and damaged my tranny and I haven't really driven it since. In fact, I haven't really driven it since MAY due to problems with my motor/tranny/clutch/drunk drivers, etc. Everyone keeps saying my clutch was installed wrong, but almost nobody can really explain why. It seems like everything was right. Those rivots are scratched up because they put the disc in backwards the first time and it was grinding, so they took it back apart and flipped it around.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well if your RPS disk flew apart originally you should say something to RPS. They're usually good about warranty on there stuff, they have to be since they actually make the TRD upgraded single disk clutch as well so their rep is on the line.
Also if the disk was in wrong the first time and the rivots got weakened at all that could be the reason for the failure the second time, and the install place should be liable...

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
I have just spoken to Rob @ RPS and he said that if you will send back the 6-puck and the original RPS pressure plate that you had problems with a few weeks ago that RPS will fully warranty that entire clutch. You can contact me if you want to and I will handle the warranty exchange for you, even if you did NOT buy it from MVP. Feel free to call or e-mail me.
In regards to the AZ disc, I will answer you in the e-mail that you have already sent me about it.

I would like to take this opportunity to credit Rob & RPS with taking such good care of customers. Rob has always worked with us when there is a clutch problem. I know for a fact that other clutch manufacturers (I won't mention any names) totally abandon customers when they hear the word "warranty" or "problem" and RPS does not. I do carry & sell other brands of clutches but none of them actually takes care of their customers like RPS does.

Later,

Dusty

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theman: well the dealership for sure put my disc in backwards the first time, but looking at it, it didn't seem to caused any real damage; it just scraped up the rivots a little bit. I don't see how that would affect anything.

Dusty: Thanks a lot for helping out. I was planning on contacting RPS myself eventually; I just decided to wait until I did some research before putting the blame on them. But it still seems as if their disc was at fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts