Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a b&m short dhifter on my Vette and it did center very strong....
I liked it.

Now, the one that I have on my Supra doesn´t center so strong....and when the car gets hot it will not center at all......stays in side position and I need to center it myself??

Anyone knows what´s wrong?

·
Registered
615 Posts
What kind of transmission fluid have you been using? I have read that if you use something with a seal swelling additive, such as an automatic transmission fluid ( which some people use in thier manual transmissions), that can cause the shifter to not center itself.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Put V160 in your tranny....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just change the bushing on the shifter with the stock bushing and all will be good!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
flash_e_gt said:
Put V160 in your tranny....
I have Royal Purple Synchro Max in the tranny.

Didn´t hear about the "seal swelling" on the centering bushing like Red line does.....

At least I hope it doesn´t .....

hmmmm :(

And I heard that swelling makes the shifter not centering when tranny is cold.....mine does it when the tranny is warm :rolleyes:

Anyone has an idea???

BTW, if it´s the bushing......can I just swap it without disassambling the tranny?
Where is it located?
A picture would be cool !! (you can email if you don´t wanna upload the pix)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimmyP said:
Just change the bushing on the shifter with the stock bushing and all will be good!
What bushing?

Also.....if it was a bushing outside the tranny (at the shifter)....why then does it make centering problems especially when tranny is hot?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, emailed Royal Purple and got answer within minutes!!
Wow, that´s customer service at it´s best!

Here´s what [email protected] wrote:

--------------
The RP Synchromax has been field proven in the Supra Turbo transmissions for
over 7 years now. We have not had any issues of seal swell problems as
reported by other products (most reports involve Redline MTL).
This same transmission or similar transmission is also used in BMW's and we
have excellent results in these as well.

RP does not have the seal swell problems is that we use synthetic
hydrocarbon based products versus the ester based products of Redline.
Esters can tend to have different seal swell characteristics in some cases.

As far as centering on the shifter, have you verified that all the
components are in the correct location and order?

Cheers,

David

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
----------------------

So the RP Synchromax shouldn´t cause my centering problems..........

Anyone has an other idea, what it can be??

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
I am having the same problem, did anyone find the trouble? I have B&M shifter as well and is not centering when hot

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
There is a white bushing that clips over the ball of the shifter that you need to take off the stock shifter and reuse. IF you do not use this, it will feel sloppy, especially when hot. When I first put in my BD short shifter 6 years ago, I had the same problem. Make sure the two rubber washers are still in tact on the bushing also.

edit: see white piece with two washers around it?

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Yes Big Daddy, I just went down to the supra and its centering and moving perfectly when cold.

Seems that the B&M bushing (white plastic piece?) is receiving more heat from a bigger exhaust system and its colapsing/making the shifter more gummy.

I will replace this tomorrow and share results...

So it is just the plastic white bushing piece to be replaced...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting.........

I didn´t have the problem when I was BPU..........so maybe it is indeed the heat of my 4" exhaust.......

I can´t wait to see the results of changing the white bushing !!
Please let me know as soon as you tested it !!

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Damn I removed the shifter and I thought I needed the change the white plastic with the two orings from the stock one to the B&M but THAT of course does not fit!!

I received a replied in the other thread that I bumped, the bushing that we need to remove it is just the one on the LOWER pillow ball of shifter, B&M supplies a plastic one wich colapses with heat from big and exposed exhausts (heat radiation)

I did grease it all over following some extra advices, feels a lot better, but I will test it for the gummnt feeling on heavy traffic when the heat gets involved into ecuation...

Later

DJ

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
i have a stock shifter...it centers pretty good..i use RP syncromax and i like it..but i am changing back to v160 stock fluid in a few days becasue of other issues..(since RP i hear crazy noises from the tranny and my 10k mile bone stock clutch and flywheel rattle) ...
anyway my stock shifter centers well under any condition but i notice that its sort of sloppy or lazy feeling..what causes this and what is the fix..i drove my friend's BPU which is the same as mine, his car has more miles and his shifter felt rock solid and didnt wiggle while in gear nearly as much as mine does..

any fixes for this??

my freidn tells me the problem is in a bushing thats in the bell housing which isnt serviceable, so i would need to buy a new bell housing to fix this.. :rolleyes:
i kind of find this hard to beleive...

Thanx
Ant

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IcedSuPrA said:
my freidn tells me the problem is in a bushing thats in the bell housing which isnt serviceable, so i would need to buy a new bell housing to fix this.. :rolleyes:
i kind of find this hard to beleive...

Thanx
Ant
Your friend is correct.
There are additives in some tranny oils (red line for example) that
cause that bushing to swell....and then you have the same thing...the shifter doesn´t center.........
But RP doesn´t have such additives (RP swears it)....so I doubt it´s that damn bushing in the tranny.....well, at least I HOPE it isn´t.......
And there are lot of Supras using it without problems.........so I hope it´s the white plastic bushing on the b&m shifter (the lower one...)...and that there´s a fix.....but I don´t really see how that plastic thing should make the shifter centering bad when hot....??

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
I changed the lower one and still gets gummy and won`t seld center when hot., I will test this tomorrow:

When gets gummy I will lossen a bit te 4 allen bolts of the B&M I am sure this will make the shifter work okey.

I know this as If I tight to much this bolts ON COLD it will get sticky/gummy as well...

But now I am worried becasue I am buying a Cs and somebody told me that he was suffering from same stuff... :(

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DWSUPRA said:
I changed the lower one and still gets gummy and won`t seld center when hot., I will test this tomorrow:

When gets gummy I will lossen a bit te 4 allen bolts of the B&M I am sure this will make the shifter work okey.

I know this as If I tight to much this bolts ON COLD it will get sticky/gummy as well...

But now I am worried becasue I am buying a Cs and somebody told me that he was suffering from same stuff... :(
any results??

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Yes,

It will get gummy from heat soaking!!

I wrapped the 4 inches exhaust and it just delayed the trouble for a little longer.

Once the center bushing sweal the first time it will again an again.

I will test Cs shortly and come back to you guys.

When you feel it gummy just spray some water to the shifter (from beneath with some pressure let`s say) and you will feel how quikcly it starts to behave normal...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts