Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen couple of B.O.V. that i might be interested in buying...what are the differences between greddy and blitz B.O.V.? Greddy and Blitz B.O.V. are like $300-350...and i was flipping through my turbo magazine and saw a B.O.V called TURBO X and their B.O.V. are only $129-169? whats the performance differences between these couple of B.O.V.?

It would be cool to have the PSSSHHH sound....people who does have the B.O.V does it get annoying after awhile? thanks

Mike

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
TECH....

·
Registered
32 Posts
efini/supra said:
Ive seen couple of B.O.V. that i might be interested in buying...what are the differences between greddy and blitz B.O.V.? Greddy and Blitz B.O.V. are like $300-350...and i was flipping through my turbo magazine and saw a B.O.V called TURBO X and their B.O.V. are only $129-169? whats the performance differences between these couple of B.O.V.?

It would be cool to have the PSSSHHH sound....people who does have the B.O.V does it get annoying after awhile? thanks

Mike
Through experience, I would go with the HKS SSBOV. It is one of the few BOV's on the market that is a "Pull-type". This means that pressure built up inside the BOV will not leak out--for the more pressure builds, the tighter the seal. Think of it as a drain plug in a bathtub. The more water in the tub, the less likely for the plug to open up. You have to actually physically "pull" that drainplug in order to drain the water. HKS BOV works on that same concept. Other BOV's such as Blitz, GReddy, and APEXi intigrate the "push-type"...where when you dont tighten the SOB enough, it will leak under high boost...but when "too tight" to prevent leaking...it will not blow off under light load and cause the turbos to flutter and surge.

I've used the Blitz, sweet sound, but the cylinder thru time tends to get jammed and stuck. It got stuck open once on the FWY and caused my car to stall as if there was a boost leak. I lubed that SOB up w/ motor oil, but thru time...it must become a routine. According to Blitz, one must use the metal film filter in front of the BOV, but all that does is muffle the sound and make it sound like CRAP.

I've had some experience with APEXi, and it seems like all the APEXi users complain about boost leaks past 15psi, even when tightened.

I've also used the GReddy Type-S (Type-SHIT). It's name is self-explanatory. :) I dont know what DSM owners do, but the GReddy Type-S works like a wonder in their cars...making that "Pfffffssshhht" swoosh sound. But on Supras, it just works like a sack of shit. Running on Sequential, at about 3500rpm where the EBV opens up and boost drops, the GReddy BOV will emit what many call the infamous "GReddy Fart"...where it makes a nasty buzzing noise that sounds similar to Death Whine on a blown set of turbos. The BOV is also a SOB to tune and get "just right". Too tight: compression surge under low load, A bit soft, leaks all your boost out. :)

For all these reasons, I switched to the HKS BOV, and havnt had a problem since. The HKS BOV also allows you to change the sound settings with different fittings. (HKS sells those plastic POS' for ~$40!)

Good luck

-Jeff

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Re: Re: B.O.V. Performance Differences?

SupraTurbo527 said:

Through experience, I would go with the HKS SSBOV. It is one of the few BOV's on the market that is a "Pull-type". This means that pressure built up inside the BOV will not leak out--for the more pressure builds, the tighter the seal. Think of it as a drain plug in a bathtub. The more water in the tub, the less likely for the plug to open up. You have to actually physically "pull" that drainplug in order to drain the water. HKS BOV works on that same concept. Other BOV's such as Blitz, GReddy, and APEXi intigrate the "push-type"...where when you dont tighten the SOB enough, it will leak under high boost...but when "too tight" to prevent leaking...it will not blow off under light load and cause the turbos to flutter and surge.

-Jeff
I have the HKS SSBOV and still get a little flutter/surge when shifting at low boost.
Pardon my ignorance, but what triggers the release of the compressed air????
The way you described the push/pull effect of the SSBOV makes sense...the more air pressure, the tighter the bov seal. However, when you let off the throttle there will obviously be much more air pressurized in there. So, wouldn't it make the seal that much tighter?

·
Boom! Goes the TNT.
133 Posts
mkiv2the1320b4u said:
do those HKS "special fins" alter the sound it releases?
Well I know the purple one makes the BOV sound more like a whistling noise(higher-pitched). I don't know about the gold one, it seems like it is exactly like the stock one except a different color.

S

·
0 Posts
Offtopic

SupraTurbo527 said:

Through experience, I would go with the HKS SSBOV. It is one of the few BOV's on the market that is a "Pull-type". This means that pressure built up inside the BOV will not leak out--for the more pressure builds, the tighter the seal. Think of it as a drain plug in a bathtub. The more water in the tub, the less likely for ..

-Jeff
Offtopic.. but Metallic Grey? Damn thats sweet. Did you paint your car Quicksilver FX?

J

·
0 Posts
aznsporter said:

Well I know the purple one makes the BOV sound more like a whistling noise(higher-pitched). I don't know about the gold one, it seems like it is exactly like the stock one except a different color.

TTT

I want to know what the gold one does.

·
T-64 powered
166 Posts
The Flash said:
I have a type-R and it sux but the question i have is would i need 1 or 2 HKS BOV's with a T-88?

thanks
What's wrong with your type-R? Besides my previous one leaking at high boost, it performed its BOV duties a lot better than my HKS Type II/SSsqv combo.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Again.. bringing the post back from the dead..

What is the purpose of blow-off valves? Do I need to re-route to my intake, or is it ok to just have them vented to the atmosphere? I have the HKS SSQV (SSBOV). It was installed in the stock BOV location.

My question is, where is the best place to put this? Sound-wise, I currently get this "high-pitched squeak" sound when I release the gas pedal.. it's not very loud, but you can hear it ok in the cabin. Does anyone have a picture of where the best place to put this is?

Also, what does the gold insert do? Is it just to alter the sound?

Thanks again,
-Brian.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would also like to know if those inserts change the sound they make. I have the purple insert and it does make a high piched squeel.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts