Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEing that search is down, and the hitches thread seems to have faded into oblivion, I am starting a new one here.

It looks like over this summer I'll be putting a hidden hitch on my MKIV for a tire trailer. It appears that U-haul does not sell the one thy used to anymore, so I think that my first option will be to find a welder to make me one. Does anyone have photos of the u0haul hitch and/or its installation? Better yet, does anyone have one that they do not need?

Are there any other (better) options out there?

TIA & Cheers
Rich B.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. thanks..

How did you find that old thread???

Cheers
Rich B.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I searched it on google. You just type in your search query, and then after it you put; site:gfignifnsgorfng.com So it would be something like this.

hidden hitch site:supraforums.com

I noticed if you put a space after the semicolon the search doesn't yield nearly as many results.

Alex

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
this is a really good idea! I saw an STi once with a little trailer and he was carrying his tires and toolbox with him. I have wanted to do it ever since! keep the info coming please!

·
Very Senior Member
10,061 Posts
BEing that search is down, and the hitches thread seems to have faded into oblivion, I am starting a new one here.

It looks like over this summer I'll be putting a hidden hitch on my MKIV for a tire trailer. It appears that U-haul does not sell the one thy used to anymore, so I think that my first option will be to find a welder to make me one. Does anyone have photos of the u0haul hitch and/or its installation? Better yet, does anyone have one that they do not need?

Are there any other (better) options out there?

TIA & Cheers
Rich B.
Rich -
PM me your new email address and I'll send you some pics of mine. (I still have the lsu address.)
I can make some measurements when I get a chance.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts

·
Very Senior Member
10,061 Posts
I would love to see them as well, do you think that you could post some pics on this thread?
Well I would if SF would let me. Somehow it thinks I have over 1GB of files attached somewhere (I don't) and I can't attach any more!

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Wow....take a little time away from SF and look what pops up? I used the pictures from previous threads to make dimensioned drawings of the hitch. I currently have the material at home and will be putting mine together in my spare time over the next several weeks.

If anyone is interested I threw my drawings together in AutoCAD (V14). I can post the whole file, or screen shots, which ever you prefer. I should put together the material list as well. All said I probably won't have $75 in to it when it's finished.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
*** Updated the drawing and material list to match what was used in construction***

Here's the images I had of the hitch:

Material List:
  • (1) 2" thin-wall box tubing - 30" long (will cut down to length after end brackets are mounted)
  • (2) 3" angle iron, 1/4" thick - 2.25" long (hole is 1" from the front edge) Will need to notch the passenger side bracket to clear the fuel tank hanger. Hole on passenger side is~7/16", and hole on drivers side is ~1/2"
  • (1) 3.5" angle iron, 1/4" thick - 7" long
  • (1) 1 1/4" thick-wall box tubing - 4.5" long (fits in receiver)
  • (1) 1 1/4" receiver tubing (I used part number CHT-E-911 from Summit Racing)
  • (1) Hidden Hitch 60013 drawbar (or bend your own - 5/8" thick bar stock)
-Dan

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent!

Thanks..

Now to find a fabricator...

Cheers
Rich B.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
i have a fabricator who can make this but honestly instead of giving him a drawing, he will rather the original and then he can make several of them. You all should beg larry to borrow his, and i'll get 5 of them made. I can't imagine him charging more than $200 a piece.

Sid

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Glad to help out. Sid's right though that it's often a lot easier for fabricators when they have hardware in front of them.

Perhaps we should see how much interest there would be in a group buy. Or maybe convince one of the sponsors to sell them?

-Dan

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would most definitely be in, since I started the thread. Just another reason to get in trouble with the wife.

Cheers
Rich

1 - 20 of 52 Posts