Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My final round of questions :)

Backfiring.... I hear it once in a while, and sometimes i had friends tell me a 1 - 2 foot fireball came out of my exhaust. Is there anything bad about this? any harm to the motor or car? I figure car is running a little rich so it is not too bad.....

Compressor Surge.... I think this is the term for that weird sound that happens when you blip OFF the throttle, and it supresses your acceleration a little when you press on the throttle lightly... How can i get rid of this? Is it bad for the car or the turbos?

Thanks boys... and girls :)

-Bartel

·
Registered
317 Posts
Today, I met up with some friends for a guys' night out (2 worked up RX-7s and a new Mustang GT) and we were cruising around, doing the usual (messing around a little, racing through a couple of gears) when I found out that my car too throws flames.

I had no idea, till they told me.
A passanger in one of the RX-7s had a video camera going, and it figures that he got everything but my flame.
Shit. I wanted to see it too.

So how bad is this?
I know that I am running very very rich from the recent dyno session, so I guess this is a result. Anything to worry about,
or is it just an awesome feature to show off?

S

·
0 Posts
hmm.. intersting... although this might be caused by something that is not tuned correctly... on the other side.. it seems kinda cool...

I would be very intimidated if I raced someone that shifted and flames came out the exhaust.. wow!

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did some reading on the web and in other forums. the BACKFIRE and FLAMES are nothing to worry about, and prety cool if you ask me too, just a sympto....

What do you guys think about the compressor surge though? Maybe my BOV is adjusted wrong, or i got the wrong spring in it?

-Bartel

S

·
0 Posts
I used to shoot flames with my 240sx-t .. but that was 5 speed.. now I have a TT auto.. am I never going to shoot flames during shifts??

C

·
0 Posts
This is what I've been told about compressor surge and BOVs.

Compressor surge happens when you let off the throttle quickly and the rush of air coming from thee turbo bounces off the throttle plate and goes back down and hits the turbo, putting a lot of force on the shaft. Blow off valves are made to bleed off the wall of air when you let off the throttle quickly. When you hear pulsations in the sound of the bov that’s the sound or the air bouncing off the plate and the turbo blades (which is bad). A nice clean "whoosh" is the sound of a correctly adjusted BOV.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the sound of the Blitz but it's not something that i would use ever again, it did not keep my turbo's life long after i went BPU++++++, now i am just sticking with HKS SS after my single, hope my experience help, my car back fires ver often as well, hope it's not tooooo bad.

S

·
0 Posts
So, it seems that the Blitz BOV isnt that great.. what do you guys think of the new one??

btw, Im taking about a basic BPU car

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shinbone said:
I like the sound of the Blitz but it's not something that i would use ever again, it did not keep my turbo's life long after i went BPU++++++, now i am just sticking with HKS SS after my single, hope my experience help, my car back fires ver often as well, hope it's not tooooo bad.
I think it is a very good BOV. First of all, it has to be adjusted right, and second... many people do not realize that you might have to change the spring inside it to make it work right. That is where i have the problem. The spring is like $10.

-Bartel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts