Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got a TurboXS RFL Bov and installed in the stock position and now every once in a while when I shift between 1-2 and 2-3 i get a backfire. I have my wastegate shimmed up to 10psi and remember that I have the N/A block and head with turbo components. I installed 2 washers in the bov and still it happens. What do I need to fix this? I was thinking S-AFC II but im not sure. Also it has only backfired in one other gear and that was 4-5 shift.

·
Demonic
331 Posts
bc the bov is vented air that would normally be entering the engine, thus causing a rich condition therefore a nice little backfire explosion.. hey most people like the backfires!

Chris

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
To cure you problem, use a Bosch BOV and vent it back into the intake accordian.
If you use both, you get very few backfires. (The sound is still there, and your venting more air, so it works better too.)
Loud does not mean fast either.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
alright, i was just making sure there was anything I could do to fix it until I get a computer. Will the Apexi s-afc II be able to solve this problem?? Also which one do you guys preffer if it does work, along the lines of easy to use or just better.

S

·
0 Posts
Seems like mine backfired and stalled a lot more in the first couple weeks than it did later on...

blu87sup- Good to hear it made it to you ok. :D

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I have a fully tuned e-manage, and i can still backfire... man thats a great sound. specialy when its 2 am, driving thru the quiet road up the hill to my house, you hear owls, and shit, then BOOM!!! from my open dp, no cat exhaust, I love waking people up, cause im a supra owning asshole!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man, i dont really like the backfiring thing, its kind of embarassing if your mobbin and your shit backfires. I took one of the washers out to make the spring a little softer but i still get the backfire, mostly now between 1-2. also i noticed that i am running 12psi instead of 10psi now, maybe I had a leaky stock BOV?? Im probbly going to get the apexi safc II w greddy tt and boost control as soon as I get my turbo bottem end (im starting no hate the na block b/c of only 1 KS hole and oil return is in the oil pan:( ) I'll let you guys now how its doin. But i am loving this high compression thing, roastin the tires in 2 and 3 gets a little crazy sometimes.

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
i agree w/ the solving the stalling problem when you're only venting to atmosphere... i'm running lex/550 untuned (please, no comments on this), w/ the HKS SQV, and i basically can't go uphill in 2nd gear. it's not such a bad thing in some ways, just something to adapt to until later on when things get fun.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
so, why cant you go uphill in second? i dont understand... no worried bout the lex 550's thing that will be me in about 2 weeks...

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
well, we are running incredibly rich to begin with untuned, and i suppose having to go up w/ 550s you're running even richer than before. i suspect that's why it's stalling out, nothing blipping the throttle can't fix when you step on the clutch, or a recirc. unit, i suppose. well i'll be out of that mode whenever the AEM comes in

·
Rooftop Sniper
2,545 Posts
I suppose you can swap out hks bovs with Bert again and see if that solves your dilemma

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
blu87sup said:
Alright, I got a TurboXS RFL Bov and installed in the stock position and now every once in a while when I shift between 1-2 and 2-3 i get a backfire. I have my wastegate shimmed up to 10psi and remember that I have the N/A block and head with turbo components. I installed 2 washers in the bov and still it happens. What do I need to fix this? I was thinking S-AFC II but im not sure. Also it has only backfired in one other gear and that was 4-5 shift.
I don't believe the SAFCII can solve your problem man, because that option from the SAFC I was only for HOTWIRE tapped cars, we have Karmen Vortex, so probaly the SAFCII is the same, what I did with my car when I had an aftermarket BOV on it (Greddy Type-S, CSR MA71's) is I used the Aftermarket BOV + the stocker and that helped the car not stall. But if you "tune" the BOV correctly then it should only vent enough to the point where there is no surge and no stalling, aight good luck man, aight peace :chicken:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts