Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all, I may be going against the grain here but I'm in the process of "detuning" or going "backwards" with my supra. My set up is built 3.0 stock main with cp pistons, Manley h tuff rods. Head has gsc beehive springs/retainers and s2 cams. S366 turbo ms3x ecu e85. The set up made 900whp @30 psi.

So in the past few years that it has been on this set up I've done a few dyno pulls for tuning and about 2 street races and 3 or 4 highway pulls at full power. Most of the time I'm on 15 psi wastegate boost pressure and cruising. I just don't care about racing or a ton of horse power like I used to when I was building my car.

Brings me to now. I have a friend who is trading me plus cash on top. My long block for a bone stock vvti gte long block. I am looking forward to having stock cams with stock idle speed and a quieter exhaust. Also shifting my power band to the left will be great. I'm undecided if I should keep the 2150cc injectors. I have full flex fuel and plan to be on 93 most of the time. Any opinions or reccormendations are welcome.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
If you're not going to run over 15 PSI and 93 octane gas then get yourself a set of 700s. If you want to run e85, go 1000s. No point in having that much injector for that little power. Sure, you can get away with it but you will have a lot more resolution at the lower power level with the smaller injector.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to make 650-700 whp on e85 for rare occasions. Maybe the fic 1650cc would be a perfect match for me.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
700whp is pushing the limits of the stock shortblock. At that point, why not keep the existing engine and just downgrade the cams, turbo and fuel system? You can get away with it on a good tune but like I said, upper limit. Smaller turbo, cams and fuel system will yield the driveability you want with the potential for power and revs on the existing long block. It also won't cost you much at all. You can probably trade plus cash for all those parts from what you currently have if it's in good condition...

Stock cams should still be a pretty good fit on beehive springs. You can certainly rev a bit more. You will just have to go through the painstaking task of shimming them properly. The rest can easily be swapped in an afternoon.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to push the stock block. Honestly the way that I drive now 600whp will be plenty. I have no interest is street racing.
I am keeping my turbo and ecu for sure. The motor has already been pulled and stripped down to the long block. Waiting for my buddy to bring the vvti motor

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
6 is definitely more reasonable. I would still downgrade the fuel system accordingly but if you cant do it right now, you can usually make it work with a standalone. Injectors are pretty flexible. Doesn't change the fact it's a mismatch but definitely less noticeable than a significantly oversized turbo.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure I could trade 2150cc injectors pretty quickly and easily. I disagree about the turbo being too big. It's only a 66 mm. I believe the reason It made the power it did was due to 10:1 compression and the cams and port work. My old stock block stock port with s2 cams made [email protected] and went to [email protected] with the current spec

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
A 66 is fine if you need it to pump out 600 whp. I wasn't saying that. Just making a comparison for reference. Maybe a little big but it depends on trim, housings, bearing design, etc. It's definitely within range. Personally if I was building from scratch I would go with a 62 precision or similar with ball bearings but 66 is just fine. It won't bother you.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see it as an upgrade because I will use and enjoy my car more

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Swap cams: 264
Swap turbos: EFR 7670
Swap injectors: 1650 or 1300

Enjoy stock idle, quiet exhaust and gobs of midrange torque and spool.

Your current cams/old lazy S366 are killing your fun.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
264 cams are in the future after I get the motor in. I'm leaning towards selling the 2150cc and purchasing 1650cc. I've had this s366 for over 6 years and I'm going to stick with it. I'm starting with clean slate bone stock vvti gte

·
Registered
129 Posts
264 cams are in the future after I get the motor in. I'm leaning towards selling the 2150cc and purchasing 1650cc. I've had this s366 for over 6 years and I'm going to stick with it. I'm starting with clean slate bone stock vvti gte
I've really enjoyed my 6766 (similar size but more responsive to your S366) to about 800whp. With my S1 cams, 1200cc Precisions, and a QSV the setup is SUPER responsive and yet pulls well up top. I've debated going bigger turbo but am in the same boat as you where in reality I only use the full power rarely and 750-800whp is a handful unless you are on a wide-open highway.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm considering changing the rods with either Eagles, Manley h tuff, or Brian crower HD with the oem pistons

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm considering changing the rods with either Eagles, Manley h tuff, or Brian crower HD with the oem pistons
Which begs the question, why go back to a stock motor?

You already have the 1000whp motor headroom (limited by main caps) in your car and the better driveability is a set of new cams, smaller turbo, and smaller injectors away. 10:1 is far more fun around town to me than 8.5:1 was and with a smaller turbo...would be even better!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a very good point. I'm going to do a compression test on the new motor. If it's solid I'm going to change the valve seals and throw her in. If I step down in injector should I keep my existing dual pumps? (walbro 450)

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
I'd put a set of 1300s in it just in case. Idle will be great and they have stainless internals. Get set of BC VVTI cams for it and be done. It should be a really fun street set up.

Steve K

·
Registered
129 Posts
That is a very good point. I'm going to do a compression test on the new motor. If it's solid I'm going to change the valve seals and throw her in.
Sounds like you've made up your mind. If it were me I would hate to go back to stock and then be limited by how much power I could make in the future instead of keeping the built motor and preserving the headroom you already have "just in case" you miss the power and want to step back up.
If I step down in injector should I keep my existing dual pumps? (walbro 450)
I have 1200s with dual pumps...but staged via the ProEfi.

·
Cardinals!
1,546 Posts
If you want 600whp and loads of fun, why not go with STU hybrids with that VVTi motor?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts