Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm at a local 1/8 mile Doorslammer race, participating in the Drag Radial class, which usually consists of alot of low 9 to mid 8sec (1/4mile) cars. I've had some bad luck so far this season to say the least, but nothing this major until now. I'll let you be the judge of what happened and I'll chime in later and clear things up. Needless to say, DISABLE YOUR AIRBAGS if your making big power!!!
These pics are in order of occurrence.

PIC 1 This is the exact instant they go off, the windshield isn't even broken yet. Notice the door being swelled from the pressure of the bags,

PIC 2 Notice the parts chucked out on the track, and the windows pushed outside the seals

PIC 3 DAMN!!!

PIC 4 DOUBLE DAMN!!!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
That is insane. I've never heard of that happening. Crazy Pictures too. Your right about the first one - hadn't even broke the windsheild. Crazy!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, it was a completely smooth burnout... I'm trying to figure out what went first. Total carnage includes
1-snapped pinion
1-driveshaft (was custom one-piece steel...now it's 2 pieces)
1-TH-400 tailshaft and housing
2-airbags
1-windshield

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
You are the man!!!!
Glad you are not hurt or anything.
That is odd for that to happen though...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Wow thats crazy. Makes me glad that I pulled my airbags out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pull the module thats under the center console!!! It has a sensor in it, and when the D/S blew and hammered the Floorboard, it tripped the bags!

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Pull the module thats under the center console!!! It has a sensor in it, and when the D/S blew and hammered the Floorboard, it tripped the bags!
I don't want it permanently disabled since I rarely drag race. A switch would be ideal or just pull a fuse for when I'm at the track. For a car that's always at the track I would pull it though.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
That would be my first thought. I don't know where the sensor is (internal or up front) but the airbag control unit does ride on top of the trans/ds tunnel under the center console.

By the way, good job not slamming into the tree or anything considering the cirumstances. Can't imagine if this happened @ 1000 feet. Glad you're safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
didn't someone post a video on here about 8 or 9 months ago of a supra at etown doing the same thing. that sucks btw

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Damn, I am pulling my sensor module. But ive always said, those solid driveshaft mounts are no good. No room for give. I would say that your rear end broke, because of the mount... then shot back up the drivetrain. good luck fixing it!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That would be my first thought. I don't know where the sensor is (internal or up front) but the airbag control unit does ride on top of the trans/ds tunnel under the center console.
There are external 2 sensors, one in each front fender (you have to remove the headlights in order to remove one of the 3 bolts that holds the sensors)... All of the airbag related wiring is wrapped in yellow wire loom so its easy to pick out..From the sensors, the wiring goes to junction boxes in the the kick panels on sides, then from junction boxes to the the module under the center console. I'm guessing that since in this case the airbags blew when the DS hit the tunnel, there has to be an internal sensor in that module in addition to the 2 front sensors.

If there is an airbag fuse it will be in the driver's side kick panel fuse box, but I honestly never paid attention.. I haven't gotten quite that far with removing all of the unused airbag wiring yet to check and see where it goes to in the junction boxes and if it goes to the fuse panel or not.

The center console bolts to a bracket that I could not get to release from the airbag control module.. Center console moves around a lot if you don't have that bracket in there.. Easy to fix with a dremel or saw, just cut off the part of the bracket that you need, bolt it back onto the tunnel, put center console in and bolt it back together.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts