Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My brakes are more or less out of order. I believe there are lack of vacuum for the booster. Has anyone of you guys had these problems after you have changed the intake manifold. I only got one vacuum nipple on the intake which is installed on a vacuum distributor. But I believe it`s not enough...

Has anyone of you guy installed a electric vacuum pump for the booster? Will it work? Don`t know if I want to drill another hole in the intake manifold...

Fred

· Speed limits = Guidelines
2,352 Posts
do you still have the inline check valve on the brake booster on the hose?

i have my booster line going to a 1/4 thread hose barb, using the original hose w/ the check valve and it works great

the direct hookup may make some difference...but i doubt it since the check valve is supposed to store the vaccum in the diaphram, even when the car is under boost

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

The valve is still on the hose. I believe since it not letting vacuum back when at boost, right? But I got bebop 268 cams and maybe that`s the problem?

2,352 Posts
the valve is used to store the vaccum so you can have power brakes even under boost....if you had it backwards the booster would not work at all

if you pull it off and try and blow through it...the side you can blow through should be going towards the booster

· NA/T aficionado
527 Posts
How much vacuum is your boost guage pulling? The cams will show a decrease in plenum vacuum but not enough to really make a difference in brake feel. You sure you have the timing belt installed right? Might wanna look into degreeing the cams if they need it, which I'm sure they do since most aftermarket cams should.

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Hmm, weird... The car is dynoed and everything seems fine, but the brakes are bad... I noticed that after I was finished with the built....

I have ONE vacuum hose out the intake, that is installed to a vacuum distributor. I got 4 other vacuum hoses installed to the distributor, two of them got a T coupler.

I have not touched the valve, but I believe it`s OK. I can have a leakage on break fluid for all I know but just wanted to know. I have not seen any wet spots under the car, but maybe it`s a tiny mother £@cker.

I believe I got 500 mmhg vacuum at idle.

Fred

2,352 Posts
just want clarrify something...you said your brake are "bad"...by this do you mean just the power brakes are not working, and the pedal is hard to push...or are the brakes themselves not working?....the brakes should still work, as in stop the car...all the booster does it make pushing the pedal easier

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

The brakes do work, the car stops if I push the pedal, but they are not as good as they used to be... the pedal needs to be pushed further down than earlier to make it brake, and I believe I can`t congest/engorge/occlude the wheels... If you know what I mean...

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

Well, I have been out of town so haven`t had time to look into it, and the cops/government has bought a Dyno in my hometown to chase us boosted guys down so need to stay low. God damn it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.