Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I was changing the oil in my Supra when I discovered something that I definantly did not like. When I unscrewed the oil cap from on top of the engine, I discovered some hard oil residue in the opening. It was not exactly sludge, but it was like a hard filmy oil residue.

Question is, is this normal?

I bought the car 3 years ago (its a 1997 TT-6speed) at 49k miles from 1st owner, and according to the paperwork and toyota documents/receipts, he changed the oil every 3k miles or so. No traces of it being run hard or anything. The Supra now only has about 51k miles. I baby this thing..

· Old School
4,443 Posts
Sounds like what is called varnish, some is normal for an engine not run on synthetic.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like what is called varnish, some is normal for an engine not run on synthetic.
Yeah, my Supra doesnt run on synthetic.. It has conventional oil. After my last post, I think its time to start running on synthetic.. Too many advantages not to at this point.

Also, I did some google about "oil engine varnish" and it looks like that's what that is. I guess its a bit of relief. Although I know very little how to completly unmount the engine, much less work on it, I expect to learn over time.

Thanks again. IF someone else wants to chime in, please feel free.

· Registered
928 Posts
^can be true but varnish is also a likely effect of not running synthetic. I cant believe people still wonder which is better for your car, i just saw a thread on here the other day asking synthetic or traditional. Synthetic will keep your engine SOOO much cleaner inside, and its not that expensive anymore either.

· Registered
1,714 Posts
so long as there's no sludge on the oil cap, should be ok in your case

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for chiming in.. Althought this is not the actual picture, I google condensation and found a very similar picture of what I have found on my Supra. Take a look at THIS.

After this oil change, I will change her over to full synthetic Gastrol..

Thanks again,..

· Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,469 Posts
Yeah, my Supra doesnt run on synthetic.. It has conventional oil. After my last post, I think its time to start running on synthetic.. Too many advantages not to at this point.

Also, I did some google about "oil engine varnish" and it looks like that's what that is. I guess its a bit of relief. Although I know very little how to completly unmount the engine, much less work on it, I expect to learn over time.

Thanks again. IF someone else wants to chime in, please feel free.
"THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JIMMY"

· ex BPU'er
5,973 Posts
Isn't there a proper way to change over to synthetic from dino oil? Like change to a syn blend first, then fully synthetic later?

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't there a proper way to change over to synthetic from dino oil? Like change to a syn blend first, then fully synthetic later?

The only thing I have heard, is that on a new engine, use dyno oil to properly set in the seals, then after like 5k to 10k miles, switch over to synthetic.

Anyone wanna back me up on this one??

· Banned
3,376 Posts
The only thing I have heard, is that on a new engine, use dyno oil to properly set in the seals, then after like 5k to 10k miles, switch over to synthetic.

Anyone wanna back me up on this one??
I have also been told the same thing... Run on the dyno oil till after break-in period...

· Registered
1,714 Posts
Same here.

Funny thing though. I visited the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen and went to see the engine assembly line, the engine dyno room (with a rig that simulates EXTREME engine movement a typical 911 will get at the Nurburgrning to design against oil starvation) and the BNEW high-perf engines, right after they are assembled, are run with the revs ramping up for about 10 minutes, then run at WOT and redline probably with varying loads, until the fuel in a tank is gone. Usually about an hour. That's wild! The the engine is cooled down, flushed for any excess metal fillings, cleaned up a bit then sent to the chassis assembly line where it goes into the 911' s arse.

They use Mobil 1 0W-40 fully-synthetic oil according to the tour guide right from the get-go.

2,741 Posts
Roller bearing camshaft engines, can be broken in with synthetics, but other engines should not be.

I would reccomend that anyone wanting to switch to synthetics. First use dino oil, then a blend, then full sythetic, and do it before 100k miles, otherwise seals may leak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.