Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently replaced my headgasket and now am having some other cooling system problems.
When I first started the car after fixing I blew a lot of white smoke everywhere. It went away on it's own and has been fine since (about 3 weeks) until now.
I've been using my climate control and noticing that I am losing coolant... and after a few days I got a nice puddle on my driver's side floor.
I'm wondering if it could be the heatercore that is leaky? Also I did notice a bit of water leaking out of the hose that goes into the firewall on the drivers side, I re-tightened the clamp and it was fine (I think) after that.

Now a few days ago I drove to the gym, which is only a few minutes from my house then I notices while I was inside and the car was parked there was coolant dripping on the ground too. THe next time I started the car it's smoking white again.

It seems like the white might be coming out of the tailpipe too? But I'm not really sure about that.. definitely from underneath the car though. Maybe the metal tube coming out of the firewall got damaged somehow during the hg rebuild and it's not making a good seal/leaking? Regardless bypassing it for now would let me know if the problem is somewhere there or elsewhere.

So I want to bypass the heatercore for the time being and see what happens, but am not 100% clear on which hoses I need to cap/re-route.

On the diagram:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/co/CO_02.gif

I'm just a little confused as to where the hoses go in that diagram, I guess I just want to recheck before I go ahead and try it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you have coolant inside your car on the driver side then its your heater core ...maybe hoses....
when u turn on the heater or a/c or just when u are just driving, in the car is there like yellowish smoke that smells like coolant??
or is there like random fogging on your windshield ???
if so most likely the heater core

i hate replacing heater cores ITS A " BITCH"

someone chime in about bypassing....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is/was no smoke until recently, but it smells like coolant becuase it's all over the floor lol. They sure are a bitch, but most of mine seem to be in ok shape.

I'm just wondering which hoses need to reroute, and/if which need to be capped to completely bypass the heatercore. The hose that comes out of the back of the head into the VSV obviously I want to keep flowing, but the other one that comes out of the back of the head and runs down underneath the exhaust mani towards (I assume) the waterpump... can I just loop that one with the one that is supposed to go into the firewall on the drivers side and call it a day?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
there is an extension to the heater core that toyota in their infinate wisdom added so they could use the same heater core on more than one vehicle, it tends to leak at the joints, and that's what it sounds like to me, the extension usually leaks at the drivers side, the actual core leaks on the passenger side

either way, you're gonna have to pull the dash pad...not fun

that sounds like what you need to bypass to me, it should work, but you're still gonna leak all the fluid that is already in the lines and core behind your dash...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts