Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my car back from the shop. The car idles solid at 900rpm's, but when I push on the gas the car sputters for about 5 to 6 seconds and then the rpm's go to normal. It is almost like it wants to die, sometimes it does and sometime it doesn't. I'm thinking it might be a vacuum line but have no clue were to start looking. I have EGR plates on the car but left the EGR system on, hoping to pass visual inspection. The car also over heats pretty quickly. I don't have the downpipe or manifold heat wraped yet, but what else could be causing the car to overheat so quickly? I'm only running 5psi of boost. I have 2 high performance radiator fans w/ the stock radiator. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had and have the same problem

I know exactly what your talking about bro. My mechanic told me it was a leaking vaccuum hose. But I took it to a mechanic, I personally don't have the faintest clue as to where to look myself.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Did you just install some modifications? That would be where I looked first.

·
TE44 NA-T
1,026 Posts
for the vacuum leak. Check the line that goes to the Fuel rail.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a T04B H-trim turbo(5psi of boost only), 38mm Tial WG, 550cc injectors, MAP ECU computer. And other misc. things. The hesitation is only in the beginning. It overheats after 20mins of driving (kinda hard).

·
TT This
917 Posts
You may be experiencing the lean tip in problem with the MAP-ECU. although it usually doesn't last 5-6 seconds...If you gradually push the gas pedal in is it normal then? Do you have a wideband? The MAP-ECU has a TPS adjustment that will give more fuel when the ECU see's a quick throttle change.

As far as the over heating have you looked at you radiator yet? full? :)

I've recently switch to electric fans and I've had no overheating problems so that is not your problem. I've actually driven around with out any fan for a few days since I've been working on it and it never over heated either..

Sounds like you brought it to a quality shop? :rolleyes: bring it back and say fix this shit!

·
Registered
951 Posts
HTB said:
I have a T04B H-trim turbo(5psi of boost only), 38mm Tial WG, 550cc injectors, MAP ECU computer. And other misc. things. The hesitation is only in the beginning. It overheats after 20mins of driving (kinda hard).
bet it's the Map ECU

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will look into the TPS on the MAP ECU and see if I can adjust it.
NinetyFiveNA=Thats exactly what happens, if I push is slowly, it will smooth itself out. What I am going to try to do to fix the overheating(the temp neddle gets all the way to red), is replace the thermostat, and heat wrap everything in the engine bay. I do have a wideband O2, the gauge is just not working right.

If I kick up the boost to 10psi do I have to retune the car again?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Did the overheating start out of the blue? Did the shop install the headgasket? Sounds like it might be air in the system.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, the shop did not install the headgasket. It was a complete long block built up by a West Coast engines (the engine was checked before it was shipped). The engine a the turbo kit were put on at the same time (all new). I am going to replace the thermostat and get larger fans and put some Water Weter in, I think the fans are to small for my application (they are 2 10" fans that have a total of 3200cfm's). I also found a vacuum line that was off (fixed that).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts