Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my turbo has been slowly dying. It finally saw it's last positive boost numbers. I mean it is gone. When i got the car, it would boost about 4psi, gone down since. But there is a strange problem.

Any time i rev past about 4K my engine sounds funny. It's almost like it's starving for oil or something. No clanking, nothing that sounds really bad. But i can't make it out for the life of me. I don't know if it's just the turbo or what it is.

I don't really know how else to describe it. It's just like a starving sound if that makes any sense. I have a smooth idle and no real problem with oil pressure but something sounds off.

If all the problem is that i just need a new turbo and that will fix it, great, i'll buy one tomorrow. I just want to be sure before i go out and buy one.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
well our engines arnt known to sound the smoothest at high rpm...

W

·
0 Posts
Ckanderson said:
well our engines arnt known to sound the smoothest at high rpm...
yeah.. before mine blew it sounded worse than britney spears singing ac/dc... (not good)..

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you just think that it's an air starvation? I didn't know about the engine not sounding smooth. That's almost good to know. I think that i'm just going to get another CT-26 and test it out.

Thanks

3,796 Posts
Your turbo is trying to turn but it cant cause its seized. That would probably make some nasty noises...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i've got a working CT-26 coming in the mail. Hopefully this will fix everything. I mean the engine still has great torque but once i hit about 4K NOTHING and i mean No Go slow as hell. So this should cure my ailment.

S

·
0 Posts
probably is making the death whine; it sounds like a mid-tone
whine or drone noise.

that's the air forcing past the turbine blades under vacumme
because the turbo is siezed

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Silver88Turbo said:
Your turbo is trying to turn but it cant cause its seized. That would probably make some nasty noises...
Thats my guess. The engine has to force all of the exhaust air past the blades...thats got to be quite a bit of backpressure!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's what i'm hoping. I'm also getting myself a X-Mas present. A complete 3" exhaust with single Sport Cat and a single muffler. I should be up here and moving pretty good here in a few weeks.

G

·
0 Posts
When I rev mine up, it makes a noise that goes "What the hell are you doing? I'm friggin old!!!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts