Supra Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
Your looking at the wrong one then because the one I was looking at is 50% by weight.

I removed one if the vsv's and added an electric boost controller. I can easily get 20 or more in long gears like 3 or 4th

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Did some dyno runs and while I did not get to do datalogging, I did see boost spike when I run to 16.5-17psi on 91 octane. While The amount of water I am running now doesnt seem to bog the engine down, I do agree that even at 12GPH of 50/50 meth water is not enough to deter detonation. I have done some calculations and am thinking of bumping up the nozzle sizes while also increasing the meth water ratio.

currently 12 GPH 24Oz meth to 17 Oz water = 53% meth ~5 2/3 GPH of water

Proposed set ups
15 GPH 36Oz meth to 17Oz water = 63% meth ~5.6 GPH water
18 GPH 48Oz meth to 17 Oz water = 69% meth ~ 5.56 GPH water

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I didnt have time to come out during lunch time and then back to work... Im going to retry making the cable as I think the capacitor i used isnt good. At 16 PSI and AFR in the higher 10s, I made 345 HP and 337 TQ SAE. Baseline of the day at 11 PSI and no AFR tuning was 290HP and 273 TQ. Talked to Rodney from AIS, and going to get 9GPH nozzles and get me to the 15 or 18 GPH and see from there.

Pretty impressed to see the IC pipe to be luke warm to touch during dyno runs but still not able to suppress detonation

Edit: the boost spikes are associated with the boost controllers rather than what i interepreted to be detonation. ATM I am running the system at 18+ psi without issue

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I'm in the process of installing a used 2jzgte vvti engine in my MKIII. I did have a 1.5jz in there with a 6765 precission turbo. Everything is going to be the same except I have a 2jz intake and stock cams and head now instead of the 1jz head with upgraded cams. I have the snows performance kit which I am going back with. I ran the m10 nozzle with 50/50 boost juice for about 3 years with no problems until I added an ms3pro and took it to Atlanta to get tuned. There my 1.5jz made 640 on the fourth pull and spit oil every where on the fifth pull. I got home to find out the tuner had put 27 degrees of timing in it and caused my pistons to be blown into little pieces. Actually just a few pieces were broke off of three of them. Luckily I'd hauled it from Bama to Atl, got it home and now I'm putting in the full 2j.

After reading this whole thread, I'm still not sure if I should be running the boost juice or run more methanol and less water. Seems like opinions vary. I'm going to be running a built automatic this time around, and I'm still going to be tuning for about 25-26 psi with 93 octane and methanol injection. I'll keep doing research to see if there is a definitive answer somewhere I missed on which blend works the best. I'm switching to the m15 nozzle and I also run it progressively. I have it start coming on at 11psi and full blast at 18 psi. Thanks for all of this info.,Jay

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Made some pulls in 3rd gear auto and got some initial numbers. AFR did not touch except adding fuel for obd1 lean spot.17-18.5 psi, ~50/50 water meth, i got timing logs of 16.5-21.2 BTDC. At the amount of meth water i am spraying, i havent got bog, but i should play with the meth / water ratio a little more.

Edit: this is on 91 octane in cali

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
I'm curious to see if the stock ecu will add more timing based on your meth ratio. Be sure to reset the computer after you change the ratio so that it will try to give as much timing as possible and back it off when it pings.

I know i added 30-40% e85 to my tank and the car was a different animal. Basically, after feeling E, I decided to tinker with the car and it's been down since. I replaced FP with 485, upgraded injectors, and replaced a few of the fuel lines to E85 compat line. I pulled out my meth kit, becuase I plan on exclusively having E blending as the power diffrence was incredible. The amount of torque gained from runing E becuase the timing was added back from the stock ecu was just insane!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
did another log and very interesting results... no afr change, 14.5psi no meth, seeing ONLY 14.2-14.7 BTDC! at 91 octane, ecu is pulling major time here. more tests to come.

edit: without meth at 14.6 psi runs, the timing decreased over time. eith meth at 16.8-18.6 psi runs, the timing was increasing. higher PSI and bigger timing!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
MORE DATA! obd1 logging is limited at best so here are my generalized results from 20+ runs
50/50 meth water on 91octane fuel.
varying peak PSI runs 16.x-18 psi, ecu timing: -16-19 degree timing
lucas octane booster and fresh meth water mix, varying peak psi runs 16.5-20.2psi, timing:-17-20 degrees
reset ecu plus lucas and fresh meth water mix, varying peak psi runs 17.4-19.4 psi, timing:-20-23 degrees

I tried to make these changes and see if the obd1 ecu would advance timing along with the changes. 14.5 psi on no meth to higher boost and meth, the ECU did seem to advance timing drastically but limited to ~-20 degrees at the top. It looks like resetting the ecu has given the car with meth AND lucas OB most of the timing back and sustaining the timing after 4 runs. Perhaps I will look into race fuel to see what full timing looks like. as well as if ecu would retain current timing without octane booster

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
More thoughts on more data from the reset ecu, meth/water, 91 octane + lucas OB. I did eventually get lower and varying degrees of timing as i used up the rest of the tank with OB. I have multiple runs where i see timing advance with each run, then it takes one run with lower starting rpm ~31xxrpm (where the run goes through a longer sequential transition with or without meth spray during transition) and it would retard the timing for that run throughout the rpm.

Meth activation post transition setting: starting rpm 3750, maf >=4.00v kicks in as early as 8psi after transition.
Meth activattion pre transiton setting: starting rpm 3500, maf >= 3.50v kicks in as soon as WOT

101 - 111 of 111 Posts