Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Used to own an e36 M3 so I got a soft spot for em, and this guy's car is one of my favorite bimmers of all time. His name is Jon Sibal and he's had it for quite a while, but I'm not sure how many here have seen it so I figured I'd post up some pics of this beauty :)














He's running a Garret GT35R dual ball-bearing turbo 13psi street / 20psi track. He said on Bimmerforums that he'd have a dyno soon, http://jonsibal.com has a bunch of galleries and all his car info.

EDIT: fixed the pics, photobucket was randomly resizing them.
 

·
Who's the Master?!
Joined
·
4,073 Posts
Oh hell. I just creamed my pants. That e36 is hot to trot. I really love the widebody kit, especially in the back. It reminds me of the e30 m3, which I find to be one of the best parts of the car. I'm usually not a fan of the widebody kits on e36s, but this one is done just the way I like. Perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
neat.


This is abit off topic. But for those of you that are familar with bmw's and m3's.. I know the m3's are very capable cars, I hear lots of praises for their handling, braking ect and I have seen multiple examples of them putting up very good times on autocrosses and on road courses. But I cant figure out what makes them so potent.
They arent the most aerodynamic vehicles, they arent the lightest or have huge tires and they use a mcpherson strut front suspension type. And yet they still seem to get the job done. I'm hoping someone knows of a link or article that goes into detail explaining what BMW did to make their cars as capable as they are.
I recall hearing about a Road and Track article that may discuss this. I think it was called "how does the m3 handle so well?" or something to that extent.

Thanks.
 

·
They giggle
Joined
·
1,935 Posts
The E36 is my favorite Bimmer. That one is hot. :bigthumb:
 

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
If you dont have a soft spot for all M3's and your into cars your not thinking straight! That is a badass M3 although my hard-on lies with the 1st Gen but I would rock both :bigthumb: !
 

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NickBW said:
This is abit off topic. But for those of you that are familar with bmw's and m3's.. I know the m3's are very capable cars, I hear lots of praises for their handling, braking ect and I have seen multiple examples of them putting up very good times on autocrosses and on road courses. But I cant figure out what makes them so potent.
They arent the most aerodynamic vehicles, they arent the lightest or have huge tires and they use a mcpherson strut front suspension type. And yet they still seem to get the job done. I'm hoping someone knows of a link or article that goes into detail explaining what BMW did to make their cars as capable as they are.
I recall hearing about a Road and Track article that may discuss this. I think it was called "how does the m3 handle so well?" or something to that extent.

Thanks.
I believe this is the article you are looking for:
www.eliteeuros.com/m3 handling/m3 handling.zip

With several other articles on the subject here:
http://www.eventpersonnel.com/car stuff/bmw.htm

texasmr2 said:
If you dont have a soft spot for all M3's and your into cars your not thinking straight! That is a badass M3 although my hard-on lies with the 1st Gen but I would rock both :bigthumb: !
Love all M3's, but I prefer BMW's earlier more track-oriented philosophy when the e30 and e36 were built. The e46 is damn sexy and quicker than previous models, but BMW is starting to get a little to close to Benz's fast-luxo-boat philosophy with less emphasis on lightweight and trackability. If I had to get one and keep it stock, e46 all the way. If I could mod it, it would either be a turbo e36 or LS1 swapped e30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Thanks!

And I completely agree with you about favoring the earlier m3's. More or less specificly the pure bread e30 m3. By my great softspot for the e36's is do to greater production number. I can find one, truely drive one and change it up a little bit with out having to feel guilty about ruining a rare car like an e30 m3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
NickBW said:
Thanks!

And I completely agree with you about favoring the earlier m3's. More or less specificly the pure bread e30 m3. By my great softspot for the e36's is do to greater production number. I can find one, truely drive one and change it up a little bit with out having to feel guilty about ruining a rare car like an e30 m3.
You should never feel guilty for doing what you desire to your car. Its your car, noone elses. Its an extention of your personality. Unless your using the car as an investment, it should reflect who you are. If it is an investment you shouldn't be driving it at all. Enjoy your damn car, thats why you bought it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,271 Posts
That is not exactly true, since some models sold in Europe retain the qualities you're discussing. Try the M3 CSL and M3 GTR for example (CSL ftw!). ;)

It is a huge letdown that you cannot buy US M3's any sportier than the "M3 Competition" though.

Hellspawn said:
...BMW is starting to get a little to close to Benz's fast-luxo-boat philosophy with less emphasis on lightweight and trackability...
 

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ Yep very true Steve, love the CSL and GTR. I meant aside from the special edition BMW's like those. I guess I have assumed those were produced in very limited numbers like the e36 M3 Lightweight, although I could be and hope I am wrong. Never really looked into it since you can't get them here anyways. Too bad those bad boys aren't available in the states :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
PukiCabuki said:
You should never feel guilty for doing what you desire to your car. Its your car, noone elses. Its an extention of your personality. Unless your using the car as an investment, it should reflect who you are. If it is an investment you shouldn't be driving it at all. Enjoy your damn car, thats why you bought it.
I agree to that and all, but I also like seeing well taken care of stock version of such'n'such cars as something to look back on and remind us that "back in the day these things where pretty damn cool". And since they are so rare I would hate to deflower one that hasnt been abused.
It would also be easier to enjoy the car if I knew that if on the slight chance I messed up(Say on a track) and the car was severly damaged that I would be able to replace or repair it with out too much trouble.



Yeah BMW needs to make more CSL's or at the least a spartan'ish versoin of the m3 that isnt a luxury car. But thats not what seems to appeal to the masses. :(
 

·
[///M] Humdizzle
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
i think the reason they dont sell the CSL here is because of the CF roof. if you flip it carbonfiber shards are gonna go everywhere. thats probably why i haven't heard anything about them bringing the M6 to states since it has the CF roof too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Fairlady said:
i think the reason they dont sell the CSL here is because of the CF roof. if you flip it carbonfiber shards are gonna go everywhere. thats probably why i haven't heard anything about them bringing the M6 to states since it has the CF roof too.
Or it coule be the ridiculous price for the little gain.
 

·
Cultured Development
Joined
·
319 Posts
this is my fav of his car
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top