Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've read a few threads on this. But they all seem to point to buying new arms when either the ball joint goes bad or even the boot is torn. My question is what are you guys doing when these situations come up ?? Replacing the arms seems wayy to expensive for a torn boot .....

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Reactions: thadius

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup, that was a helpful find. i read that thread before posting this one. I was hoping someone had found alternatives for the other ball joints as well. like the lower control arms as well as the toe ams.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ordered some universal ball joint boot covers from ebay.
They didn't fit perfectly but in my mind they where OK if keep an eye on them that they are not leaking.
I have only fitted them on the rear as I have not yet removed the fronts for bushing upgrade.

Sizes I used
ø:16mm
Ø:38mm
H:27

and

ø:19,2 mm
Ø:38 mm
H:26,7 mm

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,323 Posts
Chances are the ball joint will be shot anyways, if you do all that work in removing the lower control arms, I would just replace the entire thing, while the lower control arms are still available.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
This has been addressed before and unfortunately, there isn't an option other than replacing the whole arm. When i did mine, i just thought well my current ball joints lasted this long, so i "justified" the price with the longevity of the arms/ ball joints. Like stated above also, parts are getting more and more discontinued so you have to consider that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ball joint i was working with was ok. i really was just looking for other options for the boot. Unfortunately if the ball joint is bad im guessing you'll have to replace the whole arm unless you want to match and install a similar universal ball joint. i ended up finding this site for universal dust boots. Once i install them and check fitment i'll update the thread
https://www.suspension.com/universal-dust-boots.asp

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I know this thread is a bit old but I'm wondering if those universal boots you ordered worked. I'm looking at getting some for my rear lower control arms and also the rear suspension control arms.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey, I know this thread is a bit old but I'm wondering if those universal boots you ordered worked. I'm looking at getting some for my rear lower control arms and also the rear suspension control arms.

Thanks!!
I've bought some universal boots at a local shop. They fit very good. Most of the shops have some in stock.

Casper

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 JDM TT 6sp
48 Posts
As we speak I'm going through SF looking at posts for the LCA dust boots. Mine are fine but were damaged by age and removal for bushing (Strongflex) upgrade. At this point for LCA's I'm purchasing "Energy Suspension 9.13130G Balljoint Boot" to try as others have measured and found them to fit.

·
Registered
96 JDM TT 6sp
48 Posts
Not driven the car yet, but the first Energy Suspension 9.13130G Balljoint Boot I've fitted has a very small gap at the bottom, but will snug up well once the balljoint is reseated.

·
Boost Junkie
12,603 Posts
Another option is to remove the torn boot and remove all of the grease from the boot. Save the grease for later. You can use a combination of seran wrap and black silicone to repair the tear from the inside - not the outside. When the grease presses against the repair it will actually help the repair stay intact. If you repair it from the outside it will eventually fail from the inside pressure of the grease pressing against it.

STeve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts