Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing worn suspension components (shocks/springs and bushings) this past week (which as been a real nightmare) and some of the ball joint boots were compressed in the process of removal such that some grease exited the top where the stud and boot meet. I would say that the BJ are fine as is as there is still much grease left in the boot but I would like to try and get some grease back in if possible. Has anyone run into this before? Any solutions other than buying a new arm? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The factory ball joints are not serviceable. If you wanna try using a grease needle, you could try that to hold you out a bit longer but i would just change the arm with the ball joint if it becomes worn out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Twisted wires holding the rubber boot to the control arm can be carefully removed
in order to carefully peel back the rubber to insert more grease.

If you put too much in, it will end up squeezing it back out, not to mention you
stand the risk of damaging the retaining wire as well as tearing the rubber
boot.

I did the urethane suspension upgrade this past winter, and I worked some
additional grease in before re-assembly, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Steering knuckles can have grease added also, but the wire holding them is more
like a spring. It's a real PITA to re-assemble.

Not sure if there was any benefit from adding it, except like you I squeezed some
of it out during dis-assembly.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
use some high moly content grease and a grease needle.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might try the grease needle but I feel that it really isn't that important...

3inarow (or anyone who has done the bushings), did you need anything other than the R2 kit and the arms themselves? In other words, was there any parts that I was supposed to save from the orig. OEM stuff such as those rubber outer rings thingies? I have destroyed much of the rubber cutting out the bolts as they were completely frozen to the bushing sleeves.

Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts