Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any danger when your ball joints start to make that clanking noise? One of mine is doing it and I'm not going to be able to fix it right away. Also, how hard are they to change?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
They're easy to change on the Supra. :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
REPLACE IT *NOW*!!!

DONT DRIVE YOUR CAR IF THE BALL JOIN IS LOOSE (worn out).

Its SUPER dangerous, possibly one of the most dangerous things there are. If the ball joint pops out when you're driving (at any speed), expect the whole front wheel to be ripped away. Not only it will be THOUSANDS of dollars of dammage (if you manage to keep the car from crashing into something, otherwise.... i dont need to tell you what happens when u crash into something), but you're also putting your life in danger. Ball joints are easy to replace, and i cant describe how important it is to replace them when they start showing first signs of wear!

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Yeah it's pretty simple. Pull the nut off the BJ/hub. Use a pickle fork or a BFH to knock it loose. Undo the shock from the LCA. Loosen the 3 nuts/bolts that hold the BJ on the LCA. Slide the BJ out. Reverse for install.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i recently replaced mine. Spent like 100 for 2. Is that good? Got them from o'reilly auto parts.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
this might not help but.....

ive been making a clanking noise when i'm doing full lock left and right....so i thought it could be ball joints, wheel bearings, and such....wel i got a chance to take a look at it and i found out that it was only a screw that stopped the turn from going too far? not sure what it was called but the screw was behind the dust shield/backing plate. and all it does was stop the turn from going too far (mechanic told me)...it wasn't lubricated and was hitting whenever i was hitting full lock...so i all i did was just put some grease on it and now it doesn't make that noise...checked the ball joints too and everything was good so i think that was the problem...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts