Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much can i expect to be shelling out for a completly new paint job? a really nice paint job, ALMOST show quality, but not doing the engine bay, etc. And what should the cost include, like how many coats, etc. thanks.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You are gonna get raped on shit like that. Go to a local trade school, and you can get one for free! Besides the paint of course.

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
If you are looking for a complete exterior repaint, my guy charges $2500. It's an extra $4k to do a complete color change.

I painted my red car a different red so I didn't bother with the color change.

If you want his number, he is the best.

Thanks
Brittany

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, for a really good job, it's going to be expensive. Like $4-5k at least. I repainted mine yellow (did it myself) it was a heck of a lot of work. Ihad to take off the doors all the trim, everything came off. I had the glass pulled etc. To pay someoene for a coorchange it's going to be very expensive cause they will have to change the underside of the hood, door jams, back k side of the doors, rear hatch & it's jam, take off the bumpers, and if your car is any other color than black, then the inside wells under the hood will stay that color (unless you pull the engine/close to it) and with white, or red, or blue wells on a car that is a different color is "not cool" But if it's black, you can leave it black and it still looks natural. But yea, expect high dollar for complete color change.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. how many coats did you guys use?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 coats adhesion promoter
1 coat white (make the yellow brighter - car was black)
3 coats yellow
2 coats clear. (CC 850 - high gloss)
Bake finish

·
Registered
178 Posts
well how about this.....

if I had a black supra (many toyota/lexus black autos do not have clearcoats, I am not sure of the Supra).........okay, so if I had a black supra and wanted to put on a purple clearcoat...........? Muay dinero?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahh, actually most cars have a clear coat with the exception of say the tercell. . .alomost all cars are clearcoated. As for purple clearcoat. . .sure, you could do that. It's going to give it "ghostly purpish hew" - more of a side tone. It will really depend on how may cotes you put on it. . . more will make it more purple, less will give it just a "hew" almost to the point of not noticing untill you get right up on it. As for how much it will cost, it depensd if you want the back sides of the doors and jams done underside of rear hatc, and it's jam, underside of hood etc. they are still going to have to do about as much work just to reclearcoat it as they would to repaint it (say if you had any dents you wanted out you have to spray over that spot anyway with paint.) but yes, you can just reclearcoat the car with a pearl/purple clearcoat. the whole car - for a good job over $3,000 Clear coat is just about everything on a painjob. You can really screw up the paint pretty bad and have it turn out fine, but if you screw up the clear coat. it's a BIG screw up. like i said in an earlier post - you really want it baked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts