Supra Forums banner

Banjo bolt on fuel pump won't budge - ok to use impact wrench?

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  RushTurbo 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I'm having trouble removing the banjo bolt on the fuel pump assembly. Tried everything I could think of besides an impact wrench. Wanted to ask some folks if that was a good idea or not? I'd really appreciate any insight you can offer.

To be clear and avoid miscommunication I found another picture on this forum and circle the bolt in question.

Edit*-I've also avoided using pb blaster or any penetrating oils since this is a fuel pump. Please advise if my guess is wrong and I can use these penetrating oils in moderation.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Penetrating oil should be fine as well as a small blast with the impact. An impact is better than a manual wrench in that case because the fuel pump may turn before the bolt does.

Al

#5 ·
My guess the worst that could happen is the bolt head would break leaving the bolt threads in the hole or if the bolt comes out the threads are all messed up(you could chase the threads with a tap though for this).

Has this car been sitting a while with old gas in it? If it has it might have rust all over the hanger. I had my car sitting for 8 years and the car wouldn't start and I found the pump and hanger all rusty for the old gas with ethanol had absorbed moisture from the air and rusted everything in the tank. I decided to purchase a new radium hanger to replace my rusted stock unit, but this was a very expensive fix. Although the Radium hanger is a nice unit.

If you can get Aero Kroil I would recommend this for anything stuck with rust. That stuff just works and I have been able to loosen everything I have used that product on. It is pricey though but in my opinion is worth it.

#12 · (Edited)
Success! Some penetrating oil and a quick zap from the impact wrench did the trick. Thank you all!

@Turbopower Back to your earlier comment...yes my car was sitting for about 5 years in storage. Upon getting the banjo bolt off today and getting the fuel pump out - it is not rusted but has a strange white soot like film on most of the hanger. Going to do research on what it is and try to clean it off. Definitely not rust so hopefully won't need a new one.

I'm almost certain the fuel pump is bad since I can't hear it prime so I'll be finding a testing guide and moving on to purchasing a replacement most likely. I've got a part number denso 195130-2690. I don't even see this thing for sale on ebay :( No search results here on supraforums either.

*Edit - Did some googling and apparently that white film is the combination of the ethanol in the fuel when it mixes with water vapor in the air.

#15 ·
My car sat for about 8 years too and ethanol destroyed everything. From the hanger, pump, level float, tank, lines, fuel rail and injectors. It was so messed up that when I tried to start that the corrosion created high resistance and melted the plug.

I sent my hanger to a jackwad on the internet that I found in NY to repair it and he did clean it up a lot but my fuel level sending unit always shows full. I called the dipwad and he wanted me to send it back and I didn’t.

I still need to address this.

#17 ·
@bc2jz The clean up process has been "ok". I doubt I'll ever get it back to 100% but 95% is totally achievable. I removed all the parts and went at it with a steel brush.

I seemed to have saved myself a headache by running 100 octane ethanol free gas for most of my ownership of the car and before it went into storage. Yes, I was lucky enough until recently to have 100 octane ethanol free gas right near my home. Now its been downgraded to 89 but its still ethanol free and 3 mins away from my home. There is 91 octane ethanol free about 13 mins away.

Further update since it's been a few days - My friend had a spare Walbro GSS342 lying around. Bolted her up, primed the pump, and boom, instantly starts! I really appreciate yall's feedback and helping me get her started.

Might as well ask in this thread since it is pertinent - what is the torque rating of the banjo bolt? A quick search shows one result saying 22 ft-lbs. Would love some confirmation on that. Got a tiny bit of leakage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.