Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bare with me. First forum I've ever joined. I always hear of people getting mad when someone makes a thread that's already been one. Here's the deal. I'm really interested in getting a MK4 Supra. I've always loved them, but never really tried because I always figured banks won't loan the cash for an older car. Fortunately I work for United States Postal Service & their credit unions are crazy good. I'm 20 years old with a 780 credit score & was approved for $40k at 1.5%. Since the supra is a 96' they raised the interest rate to 3.5% which is still reasonable. I won't be financing the whole car. Will be putting $6k-$10k down. At the end of every month I have a little over $2,500 a month after bills. I know the car won't be cheap to maintain, so it's okay. I just don't know too much about Supra's & want a little insight/tips on whether this car is worth it or not. Guy listed it for $37k, I'm sure I could talk him down a little, but no worries. I would just like to know opinions. Obviously I'll take the car to a trustworthy friend. Not sure if Toyota will do a Pre Purchase Inspection on these? Thank you very much & any help/tips will be greatly appreciated!

- Branden

Here's the ad :

1996 Toyota supra

paint color: white
title status: clean
transmission: manual

1996 rhd supra 6spd hardtop with jdm trd rear small diff
V161
2jzgte non vvti
stock block
borgwarner s366 turbo
gsc s2 cams and gsc beehive ti retainers
titan cam gears and billet tensioner titan h11 headstuds
custom 4in intercooler vwr 4.5in exhaust
bc type er coilovers
aem infinity 6 e85 flex fuel sensor
dual 485 walbro pumps
-10an feed -8an return
fic1100cc injectors and fuel rail
seibon cf hood
abflug rear wing
couple more cf parts
ati pulley
tial wastegate and bov
new toyota water pump and oil pump
Wilwood front brakes na rears for weld set up
Custom ccw classic 18x10 18x11.5
Spec twin disk clutch
Has custom harness if you want to throw a vvti head on it it's already wired for it done by kaizen motorsports
I'm sure there is a couple of more things I am forgetting but as of now this is what I remember.
Tuned by Derrick at advance race technology on e85 made 730whp+
... car has 80k miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having trouble posting pictures of the car. Says "error occurred" every time. I would love to text pictures of the interior & exterior of the car if anyone would like. 1996, 80k miles, right hand drive. Thank you. 8134824317

·
Registered
355 Posts
just an FYI 96 Supra turbo came only Automatic so this is a swapped NA or Auto to 6 speed
couple things to watch out for
differential
rear brake are NA because it was NA or they are NA for the wleds
I really hope you already have a daily driver cause this will not be an ideal daily car.

Oh just saw its RHD I dont think it can be registered (legally) in the US yet I'd pass on this one

·
Registered
213 Posts
hey branden first off welcome to the forums and glad your interested in a supra, do you have any preference on the supra does it need to be rhd, auto or 6 speed?
reason I ask is here in vegas cargasms supra is for sale and if you got the funds to do it i would say take a look at it hes been on the forums forever and his car is one of a kind if the whole built auto isnt your thing get a getrag and save the auto for the strip : you can find his link on the forsale section gl with your search!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I prefer a manual that's for sure. I don't know if this will sound ignorant, but I feel like a supra is a car I would only want manual. As far as RHD, it isn't needed, but I think it's different/neat. Obviously would take some getting use to with the stick with the left hand but I'm a mail carrier & drive an LV (little white mail truck that drives on the right side). So it'll just be getting use to shifting with my non dominant hand. Thanks fellas!

·
Smith & Wesson Member
600 Posts
Buy a US car - Use the search function provided by the forums and do your homework.

If you have a question on a car you're interested in, post up.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im assuming youre in the states? That car cannot be registered until 2021 to my knowledge. Theres a 25 year rule on importing cars into the states. You can get it regiatered as a show car but that has its limitations as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Branden, I'll echo the sentiments of others: RHD may be something you physically can register, but it is NOT federally legal, no matter what someone tells you. If you wanna start getting technical, have them show you the HS-7 Form; they won't have one.

I'd suggest you buy a Supra from the forum, that others are familiar with and can vouch for, with tons of history, so you can get a fair price and know what you're getting quality-wise. Tons of beat up Supras out there put together with Ebay parts in someone's shed that may look nice, but will cost you MUCH more than buying a properly sorted out, modified, and maintained Supra.

Also, if you're in Tampa, the shop to go to is Induction Performance: https://induction-performance.myshopify.com/

Where abouts in Tampa are you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You cant legally own a rhd supra in the US. If your intersed in rhd just wait a few years and import one when there legal down there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As others have stated- that is an illegally imported car. Sure, it may have plated and be "state" legal, but it's not federally legal. A car that was produced overseas can be legally imported without needing extensive modification once it is 25 years old, to the exact month. May 2018 you will start seeing 93 Supras get imported, but until then it's a grey market vehicle. And at 37k, that's way too expensive and a rip off. I'd steer far away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yea I would keep looking, that Supra sounds like a backyard build.

As for everyone saying you can't have a RHD car in the states, I live in Miami and I've seen a few (2 I think) RHD Supras driving around. And somewhere close to where I live there is a RHD integra that I see alot driving around (which I found out was actually a LHD that was converted to RHD in his backyard)

·
Registered
233 Posts
yea I would keep looking, that Supra sounds like a backyard build.

As for everyone saying you can't have a RHD car in the states, I live in Miami and I've seen a few (2 I think) RHD Supras driving around. And somewhere close to where I live there is a RHD integra that I see alot driving around (which I found out was actually a LHD that was converted to RHD in his backyard)

There isn't anything specifically against RHD vehicles per se- it's that if the vehicle was originally made outside of the US and imported, it would either A) have had to have undergone some seriously extensive changes from a RI in order to pass emissions and safety regulations- essentially it has to be made US compliant. And this typically isn't a very feasible or economical option, though it is technically possible B) a car is 25 years old to the exact month, and is exempt from conforming to US standards for import (getting it plated in Cali is another story, but you can get the car into the states and have it be FEDERAL legal

There are people who make "kit" cars, use incorrect vins, register it in states like Florida that will give a plate to anything, etc. Just because you have a license plate doesn't mean it's federally legal. It will be a grey market vehicle- liable for seizure at any moment.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts

As for everyone saying you can't have a RHD car in the states....
They are correct.
People break the law all the time, but this is still illegal. Doesn't happen much, but those cars could be seized and crushed with no recourse for the owner. Period.

·
Registered
423 Posts
There isn't anything specifically against RHD vehicles per se- it's that if the vehicle was originally made outside of the US and imported, it would either A) have had to have undergone some seriously extensive changes from a RI in order to pass emissions and safety regulations- essentially it has to be made US compliant. And this typically isn't a very feasible or economical option, though it is technically possible
Just to complete this...

You can't just import a car and try to get an RI to modify it. It won't even make it past Customs. The have to petition NHTSA FIRST, and prove the vehicle is CAPABLE of being brought into conformity according to the NHTSA & EPA standards.

If you go here: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/IMPORT%20ELIGIBILITY%20PETITION%20STATUS_6_30_2016.pdf you can see the list of vehicles in Pending status of being deemed eligible for importation.

Then, IF/when your petition is approved (and MANY are not), it gets placed on the Eligibility List: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig120115.pdf. THEN, you can import it via an RI, and try to get it to conform. THEN it has to get inspected and certified, at which point you FINALLY get assigned a VIN.

But, IF IT ISN'T ON THAT LIST (and isn't here for Show/Display purposes) IT IS NOT FEDERALLY LEGAL. PERIOD.

You can do all your research off of this page: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/. It's pretty self explanatory.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,328 Posts
Why not save a little more and buy a proper US model?

Personally I would never finance a 20 year old vehicle.

Invest your down payment in a property, save $$ and buy the car you want in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Branden, I'll echo the sentiments of others: RHD may be something you physically can register, but it is NOT federally legal, no matter what someone tells you. If you wanna start getting technical, have them show you the HS-7 Form; they won't have one.

I'd suggest you buy a Supra from the forum, that others are familiar with and can vouch for, with tons of history, so you can get a fair price and know what you're getting quality-wise. Tons of beat up Supras out there put together with Ebay parts in someone's shed that may look nice, but will cost you MUCH more than buying a properly sorted out, modified, and maintained Supra.

Also, if you're in Tampa, the shop to go to is Induction Performance: https://induction-performance.myshopify.com/

Where abouts in Tampa are you?
Actually right by them, 8 miles down the street haha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts