Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always thought if u use the hand brakes with the pedal brakes, your stopping distance is much less. my friend claims its the opposite according to his teacher. is that bullcrap? it would only makes sense that if u use more brakes, the faster your car will stop.

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
There is only 1 set(4) brakes on a car. The handbrake on most if not all cars controls the rear breaks. When you use your foot you control all the brakes when using your hand you use 1/2 of the brakes. Your friend is 100% correct, hydraulic brakes(foot brake) are superior to cable brakes(hand brake). More pressure = More clamping power.

·
2 RiCh 4 Ur bLooD...SuPrA
601 Posts
Willjs7 said:
There is only 1 set(4) brakes on a car. The handbrake on most if not all cars controls the rear breaks. When you use your foot you control all the brakes when using your hand you use 1/2 of the brakes. Your friend is 100% correct, hydraulic brakes(foot brake) are superior to cable brakes(hand brake). More pressure = More clamping power.
you didn't answer his question. he asked if you used both at the same time. i am curious to know as well.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
when using a cable brake you are able to lock up the rear wheels... by locking up the rear wheels, you can lose traction... the loss of braking power from the rear would result in an overall loss of braking power!

pulling the handbrake at any time other than parking and an emergency (when your hydro brakes go out) results in less braking power

hope i explained simply enough

(now someone will say... "well what if the rear brakes DO NOT lock up... the answer is in willjs7 post in that case... no additional force needed)

*edit* i forgot to mention that ABS cannot interfere when you use the cable brake... that is why the rears are able to lock up

·
Registered
598 Posts
swearitsstock is perfectly right.... they tell you that in motorcycle safety courses.... anytime you brake hard and lock up the wheels you lose contact with the ground, increasing stopping distance The momentum is pushing you forward.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Willjs7 said:
There is only 1 set(4) brakes on a car.
The emergency/parking brake on the MkIV and many other cars is a separate little drum brake on the rear axle and has nothing to do with the disc brakes on the four wheels.

Pull the handle if you want to drift and loose rear traction not if you want to stop in minimal distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts