Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldnt find anything, I'm getting a used Turbo cluster in the mail tomorrow to get my Tach working, and was thinking, could I swap out the Battery gauge for the boost gauge in the Cluster?

If so, any tips, or problems I mite encounter?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
no, you need the boost sensors and associated wiring. Swapping a voltmeter into that spot in a turbo car is quite simple however. FWIW, the stock boost gauge is useless anyway, I swapped mine out in favor of a voltmeter. Get an aftermarket gauge.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going aftermarket, but not for maybe a couple months, so was just thinking this would be an easy temp way of seeing what it's boosting it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
well, the stock gauge reacts far too slowly to be of any use. In my experience (running with the gauge and an aftermarket gauge) it is not accurate either.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
adam pecush said:
well, the stock gauge reacts far too slowly to be of any use. In my experience (running with the gauge and an aftermarket gauge) it is not accurate either.
adam is very correct. All the stock boost gauge is good for is a delayed peak psi gauge up to a maximum of 7.9 psi (8 and up is just going to read 8, so you really don't know how much you're boosting). The only way you can actually watch the factory boost gauge rise with boost is if you control boost with your right foot by sloooooooooowly increasing throttle.

Keep the voltmeter and just hang tight until you get your autometer or whatever you choose to use.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
i agree with what they said above, u can pick up a boost gauge for next to nothing now a days.

~scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also remember to be careful when taking it out because many of those tiny parts of plastic and all that on the cluster are fragile and will break fairly easily. I just did that to mine and it only took about a half hour. Broke some big peices off the AC vents though, oh well shit happens right? :)

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
the stock boost gauge is a worthless POS, when I got a turbo cluster for my NA-T i swapped my voltmeter into it and have been happy ever since :love:

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Allright allright!

I'll wait then.... :p

I'm gonna be getting the Autometer Cobalt series btw :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts