Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery keeps dying, dumb question- is it just a shitty battery or is there something that's killing it. If I don't drive for a day, it's in danger of dying.......

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
take it to any auto zone they will check it for free !

could be a few things
a.check to make sure no lights are on in the car ..trunk light ;)

b. if you just had an alarm or amp pput it they might have wired it rong chack that!

c.alternator is dying

d.battery is old and need replacing! check also the battery acid lever in the battery!

·
Registered
126 Posts
mine did the same thing too

On my 95na, I had problems with keeping the battery charged.
I put a new battery on it, it ran down to. I check and made sure that I didnt leave any lights on, It didnt. I undid my stereo, that wasnt it either, I unpluged my alarm, and guages, that didnt solve it either. I had my alternator checked out, it was fine.
So I dont know.....As long as I drove the car every day it was fine, but If I left it for two days in didnt want to crank.

I took my battery back and they gave me a new one again. It wouldnt stay charged either.

I called Covington Pike Toyota and asked them about the problem. The service manager told me (unless he was full of bs) that I needed to mount the battery in place. Connect the positive terminal, but leave the negative off. He said to put a battery charger on the battery and let it charge for about 30minutes to an hour, and make sure that is was charging over 14volts.
He said to hook the negative up, and see if that takes care of the problem.

He told me that with some Toyotas, the alternator will only charge the battery up to what it currently ''saw voltage wise".
He said that the car had some type of memory. He said that if the battery when first put on only had 10volts, then the alternator "thinks" that is the maximum charge the battery will hold. He said that if you charge it to 14.2volts or in that neighborhood, then the alternator will do the same.

Either he was full of bs or I got a good battery this time, because she doesnt run down anymore.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a ton for the info, I'll definately try that. Your car looks extremely badass, maybe it's the carbon fiber on the wing matching the tint or something, but for some reason it looks really aggressive, I love it. Nice Dawg and good info, thanks again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hope that works for you.........let me know

doesnt hurt to try it anyway.................

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, I had trouble- no starting b/c I'm a dumbass and left a plug on one of the electrodes. After realizing this, battery is holding up beautifully. I had a ton of trouble keeping the car running b/c the ECU was reset, but now it's running quite well. Stupid OBDII's :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts