Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have an Interstate battery that came with my car when I bought it a month or so ago. My positive terminal is all corroded and nasty. And all the area underneath my battery is coated with dried up fluid. It looks disgusting. Any ideas to help fix my problems? I tried cleaning it with baking soda/water and coating it with grease but it still corrodes. Plus my battery tie down thing is messed up from the corrosion as well. I'm considering just purchasing all new equipment from Jay Marks as well as an Optima. Whats the difference between the red top and the others? Also, how much do they run? What does everyone reccomend?

Did the stock terminals have a cover over them with a + on it for positive?? All I have are the two wires with small pieces of metal on the end. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. You can see the new terminal the previous owner put on before he sold me the car on the left, corroded. I know it's new because I found the old one sitting far down in the engine bay when cleaning. Anyway, all advice and/or help is appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
First, get your battery tested to make sure it is still good. No need to spend the extra money if your current battery is still good. Also, clean everything real good and buy a set of those rings things from Kragen, etc. for like $2 which may help resolve your buildup problem..or you may need just to replace both of your cables (assuming both are corroded). The positive side should have a cover..this is just to prevent shortening/draining, etc when the hood is closed...I'd say most people buy those red/yellow top Optima batteries just for looks. Anything half or less of their price should be able to start your car just fine;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cables themselves aren't corroded, just the terminals. The positive never had a cover on it. I sent an request to Jay Marks and am just going to order all new tie down piece and terminal covers. I'm sawing off the positive terminal today. Why saw you ask? Because it's corroded on and the screw is hollowed out. Fun stuff.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts