Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i getting a new battery so I need a little help on which to pick.
Thanks!:cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just get an Optima and your done, for a long time.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where do u get optima batteries from?I can't seem to find it!
:mad:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some odd reason i was told the blue top optima's were for boats.:confused: Can somone clarify this?:confused: :confused: :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think blue Optima is for Marine use. Automotive units are either Red ($120) or Yellow ($150). Also heard of the "dry cell" model, Yellow as well.

www.summitracing.com has them. Free shipping (helps cuz they weigh alot).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But it is possible to use the blue top with the dawg right? Even though it is for marine use.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
ok ok guys
the
blue is for boats(Marine use)

red top is the normal use one

yellow top= deep cycle(great for cars with systems) i use the D750U yellow top!

orange top<---yes orange top is a deep cycle (hard to find has the reverse side post your looking for )

also optima was bought out by interstate batteries but kept the name optima!

get them at www.carparts.com

click here for direct link to batterys

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you can use the blue top for MKIV's... or "CARS" for that matter

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
I've seen some misinformation here..... Optimas are IMHO the best batteries..

If you have a big stereo system and you play it a lot w/ the engine off, you want a deep cycle. That is a yellow top. It is not available in reversed terminals as we need, so you'll have to cross and/or stretch the wires.

If you do not have a big system or don't use it w/o the motor running, then you can get the regular Optima automotive battery. This is what I got. Their regular automotive batteries are called the "red top." However, if you want an automotive battery with reversed terminals, it's an "orange top." That's right, an orange top is nothing but a regular red top (automotive, NOT deep cycle) with reversed terminals.

The correct direct replacement model for our cars is the 800R Orange Top.

Regards,
Andi

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
well i was 99.9%right almost!
Andi said:
I've seen some misinformation here..... Optimas are IMHO the best batteries..

If you have a big stereo system and you play it a lot w/ the engine off, you want a deep cycle. That is a yellow top. It is not available in reversed terminals as we need, so you'll have to cross and/or stretch the wires.

If you do not have a big system or don't use it w/o the motor running, then you can get the regular Optima automotive battery. This is what I got. Their regular automotive batteries are called the "red top." However, if you want an automotive battery with reversed terminals, it's an "orange top." That's right, an orange top is nothing but a regular red top (automotive, NOT deep cycle) with reversed terminals.

The correct direct replacement model for our cars is the 800R Orange Top.

Regards,
Andi

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is there a Optima deep cycle yellow top battery with reverse terminals?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Optima Blue Tops are exactly the same as the Red or Yellow Tops. You can get a normal (Red Top specs) Blue Top or a deep cycle Blue Top (Yellow Top specs).

Like Andi said make sure you get the Optima with the right terminals.

If you want to install a big stereo you might consider an Optima with dual terminals, that way you can leave the stock wiring intact and use the extra terminals for the stereo and alarm stuff.

Check out www.optimabatteries.com for further info.

Flavio

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flavio said:
Optima Blue Tops are exactly the same as the Red or Yellow Tops. You can get a normal (Red Top specs) Blue Top or a deep cycle Blue Top (Yellow Top specs).

Like Andi said make sure you get the Optima with the right terminals.

If you want to install a big stereo you might consider an Optima with dual terminals, that way you can leave the stock wiring intact and use the extra terminals for the stereo and alarm stuff.

Check out www.optimabatteries.com for further info.

Flavio
So the red and blue tops do not have the reverse terminal configuration then, right? Only the Orange does.

·
651 Posts
As a dealer for Optima I can tell you that you can special order any one of the batteries they make in reverse post design.

I currently have a Blue Top Optima in my car and have had it for the time I have owned my Supra. (about 2 years)

I previously used a yellow top for my Z-71 and had that for about 5 years with a HUGE system installed. The guy who owns the truck now STILL has that same Optima installed in it. (About 7 years of use)

They are the best batteries period!

Thomas Kenyon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts