Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do those of you who have relocated the battery to the back run a ground up front, or just ground the battery to the chassis in the back?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i dont think it would matter as long as its the chassis. but isnt the batterly and block grounded too?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just ground it in the back.

I did kind of overkill on everything.... but that's the way I roll :)

0-gauge red/power all the way front to back.... 0 gauge black/ground at back with the battery... and 0-gauge black/ground to the alternator and starter from a good ground up front. I also took the opportunity to install 2 distribution blocks up front that have 0-gauge in and 2/4/8gauge out for all the various other power and ground sources that were routed to the battery previously. From the distribution block for power/red I have 2-gauge going to the alterator and starter because it's a short run and that's big enough.

I used all car audio connectors, battery terminals, power/ground wire, distribution blocks, etc.

I also used a 200amp fuse for the power wire that runs to the front as well.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have 0 gauge kicker power wire, that's going to be the main power wire, just wanted to know if I should get some ground wire or not.

I think the chassis will be just fine but i wanted tosee whate veryone else did

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have a new mr2 100-amp alternator and an optima battery in the back with a digital stiffening cap (for the stereo) and with the car running I get between 14.8-15.2V which is great, so I'm getting a very healthy voltage from the alternator even though the battery has been relocated all the way to the back.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
it will work grounded to the chassis, but its best if you run it up front.
at a minimum, be sure you make multiple grounding points from the motor to the chassis.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
there are a lot of grounding straps around the engine bay, make sure they're in good shape as they can also cause gremlins...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I actually heard the opposite? I've always read the shorter the ground the better.

So I would say running ground all the way up front would not be advisable .... based on what I've read from searching and reading previous threads on this topic, but maybe they were wrong?

The car audio people told me I hooked it up correctly as well, and I get plenty of voltage. But multiple grounding points probably isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I used 0 gauge welding cable for my battery relocation.

Two grounds in the hatch. To the rear bumper rebar bolts.

And a ground from the engine block to the chassis with 0 gauge as well.

Power wire obviously going to your starter, 0 gauge as well.

If you plan on tracking your car, be sure to get a propper box and a kill switch.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
For the life of me I cant remember the name of the part but do any of you remember that part that they were selling in all the magazines awhile back to run all your grounds to? I remember they tested it a couple years ago in SCC and it actually added a couple HP. Does anyone remember what Im talking about?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts