Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am planning to move battery to the right rear corner of the trunk to have more even weight distribution and clear some space under the hood. Does anyone have experience with this type of modification? I still want to be able to use rear tower bar and be able to put my targa into the trunk. Any pics are very welcome. Thanks.
PiotrSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
691 Posts
i did it... it was fairly easy but i put it where the factory sub went... i used a small stinger audio battery... it had a steel sleeve so i welded little angle iron pieces to the sides of the box, tightened down a nut and bolt in each with the bolthead welded to the crossbrace... then i ran a piece of 1/4 round off each side of the front of the box and put a small tab on the end that bolts into the factory sub box bolt holes... the angle holds it in place and the 1/4 keeps it from being able to shift... also, that way i can just take off the nuts and remove the bolts to take the whole assembly out, if need be

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much! Sounds like you have done very meticulous work. Please give pics.
PiotrSM

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think summit racing has a box ment for battery relocation. It looks pretty cool and keeps the battery safe. Just a thought.

-Mike

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
I had my Optima blue top relocated to the left side of the trunk. You can see a few pics under "Supra Pictures" at www.rsasupra.com

All of the stereo stuff comes right out with a total of 2 screws, but I've got to figure out some sort of battery box for the dragstrip.

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
Damn Ryan, that battery install looks awesome, nice work

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
I relocated my battery underneath the car and might be able to email some pics if anyones interested. Solves the problem of having a batt box for racing and hooking up a charger doesnt require a jack. Might not be good for security reasons but I never leave my car anywhere.

·
Registered
691 Posts
sorry, i dont have any good pics of it but ill try to get some soon... btw, i believe one of the pics under my "my new system" thread in the car audio section has a pic that shows the battery...

·
Old School
314 Posts
But would you run to any problems if you maybe hit a puddle or anything? Mounting it under the car seems like asking for some kind of short in the electrical system. Maybe I'm just imagining it wrong.

brian94ht said:
I relocated my battery underneath the car and might be able to email some pics if anyones interested. Solves the problem of having a batt box for racing and hooking up a charger doesnt require a jack. Might not be good for security reasons but I never leave my car anywhere.

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
DarkManX said:
But would you run to any problems if you maybe hit a puddle or anything? Mounting it under the car seems like asking for some kind of short in the electrical system. Maybe I'm just imagining it wrong.
I cant really imagine any sort of short happening. Its right in front of the rear wheels, right under where your butt would be if you were in the rear seat behind the passenger. I made a little aluminum shield for the battery so it couldnt get hit by water directly. I rarely drive in the rain anymore anyways.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Brian, I must say I love what you did with your battery. You have come up with some great ideas so far on your car, and you probably have even more instore for the winter. Once I get the car back, im going to try and fab me an airbox and heat shield similar to what you have on your car.

Brett

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, sorry, I was on the run and briefly looked at the posts :). Greetings,
PiotrSM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts