Supra Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I'm now a forum authority on fiberglassing the battery tray. The best practice is remove the loose rust, sand blast, wire wheel. and use ospho to convert the rust into a black hard substance that stops further rust. Then use epoxy primer ($30 for a can and you toss what you don't use - paint supply shops only, not easily found in town). Then you can lay down some fiberglas mat. Followed by primer, then the body color.

This morning I finished wire wheeling after the sandblast. Then used a heat gun to pick remaining soft body seam sealant out. More wire wheeling. Then a solvent to wash it all down. Then the ospho treatment. It takes 24 hours to cure, so tomorrow I'll shoot the epoxy.

This turned into a mini "project" but worth it to have the battery tray area sound again. Not sure what I'l do about securing it, but I think I'll glass in an aluminum plate where the factory nut is so I can drill through that for a firm anchor plate. Anybody have a photo of their factory battery tie down?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, the rust converter worked pretty cool. I've never used this modern stuff but wow. The edges of the hole where the rust stopped, are now black, indicating the remaining rust has been converted into an inert substance and the underlying metal is 100% sealed from oxygen and moisture. Next, I'll apply a very expensive 2K epoxy primer to help the fiberglas layup adhere extremely well as I make the repair. Here's what 19 years of a battery sitting and dripping battery acid can do to a steel battery tray. Everywhere else, the car's body is dry and solid. I'm excited to make this step. I'm also very pleased at how the sandblasting revealed the true edge that needed work, versus accidentally not getting it all with a wire wheel which would not fit in many crevices.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
geez man, that acid tore that battery tray location up.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yep - sure did. So could someone post up a couple battery photos of a factory battery tie down on your car? I'm a little confused since mine did not have one to see. I see a hole for the "J hook" and I have a threaded nut welded on the other end. But the following link purports to show a "factory Toyota hold down". But it only has the J hook, which makes no sense as there must be something holding it down on the other end of the battery? Here's the link:

·
90T
733 Posts
the rearward end gets the j hook down to a hole in the raised inner sidewall of the bottom of the tray.

The frontwards end bolts directly to the radiator support with a single bolt and captive washer.

Is the tray (53771A) discontinued? Looks like a handy part to have for someone with a dissolved tray,

21 - 26 of 26 Posts