Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally fixed my coolant leak, but when i went to start it up...nuthin. Jumped it and let it sit for awhile, but when i went to pop the headlights it died. I think something is draning my battery. There is this little white wire on the pos side that just ends, as seen in the picture. Should i ground it or something?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
what is that blue wire over your fuse box?

And no you shouldn't ground it, that is the positive side of the battery (unless you installed a battery intended for another application)

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Hell no you never ground a while its attached to the pos side unless you want a spark fest!! It might be your alternator.

G

·
SupraMkiii24 said:
Hell no you never ground a while its attached to the pos side unless you want a spark fest!!
More than that! When I had my Maxima, I dropped a wrench and it hit the positive terminal and the frame of the car, sliced into it a nice 1/4 inch or so.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I dunno, I hate dealing with other people's wiring jobs. Looks like it might have been an alarm or stereo power source in the past. It probably isn't related to your issue, I was just wondering if it plugged into that broken lead on the positive terminal

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Sounds like you might have an alternator problem.

Start the car, with all the options turned off, jump it if you need to, then pull the negative terminal off the battery. If the engine dies right away, you've likely got a dead alternator.

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
GrimJack said:
Sounds like you might have an alternator problem.

Start the car, with all the options turned off, jump it if you need to, then pull the negative terminal off the battery. If the engine dies right away, you've likely got a dead alternator.
Do not EVER do this on a Supra, or any other EFI car for that matter.

The battery acts as a voltage dampener of sorts while its on, taking it out of the circuit by removing the ground while the car is running has the possibility of frying electronics. There was a thread on this some time ago, some poor fella had a dead supra because of this.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wreckless said:
Do not EVER do this on a Supra, or any other EFI car for that matter.

The battery acts as a voltage dampener of sorts while its on, taking it out of the circuit by removing the ground while the car is running has the possibility of frying electronics. There was a thread on this some time ago, some poor fella had a dead supra because of this.
I wasnt about to, but thanks for the heads up. I read a few old threads about how bad that can be. Got any other ways that wont fuck up my car to test the alternator

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
Most parts shops like autozone can test alternators if they are off the car. I don't know if there's a method for testing it while its on the car beyond having a voltimeter. The alternator is real easy to remove on the supras so its not a bad idea to just pull it off and have it tested. Just call around to make sure there's a local place that can test it before pulling it off.

When I thought my alternator went, the car itself started doing wierd stuff like idling funny and the charge light(s) came on, and of course I needed to be jumped all the time. After checking it end up being a dirty terminal on the alternator itself that took a bit of steel wool and a few minutes to fix. Might be worth a look.

G

·
If you have defective diodes in your alternator, then this will also drain your battery. so definatly test your alternator with a digital multimeter or bring to autozone or somewhere that tests them.

G

·
That might be and old alarm or amp wire. aftermarket stuff. Hard to tell for sure with the photo. IS that electrical wire holding the 2 together? If so, peel it back and see if the wire is soldered in or just twisted on.
If it's twisted on, or attached to the bolt with a little metal connector do-dad, take it off cause it doesn't go to anything.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The only thing you need to check an alternator is a voltmeter. Crank the car, attach positive to positive and negative to negative between the voltmeter and the terminals of the battery. I'm not sure of the output voltage of a supra alternator....but a good rule of thumb is that it should be over 13.8 volts. If your showing below 12.6 with the car running, then that means the alternator is not putting out a charge at all. What made the battery go dead in the first place?
And it could be possible you blew a fuse putting the battery in, just a thought.

Jeremy

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was the alternator, I took it to advance auto parts and they put it on a machine that said it only had 4 amps. So I put the new one in and after jumping it that proble is fixed. To bad after I drove it for awhile it started smoking again and dripping coolant from underneath.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts