Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Is this for the eclipse? I dont know why but it seems like that car has been under construction for years :p

anyways do you ever plan on going back to the salt flats?

I remember awhile ago you planned an evvent but it was cancled, I have been really interested in going down there recently

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
represent said:
Is this for the eclipse? I dont know why but it seems like that car has been under construction for years :p

It has been but its been running a lot of the time but it keeps changing and getting taken apart to try something different for that right combination. I've tried 4 different turbine housings, two intake manifolds, that kind of thing. The Cooling system took 3 months alone some of this stuff has been real painstaking. Its so much different trying to run a competition like this then I thought it would be.

anyways do you ever plan on going back to the salt flats?
I remember awhile ago you planned an evvent but it was cancled, I have been really interested in going down there recently
Unless the lake is still under water, I'll be at El Mirage on the 14th of may. You can join SCTA and come as well. I'll be there with an RV and almost a real team (thanks to Frank from racetune and Bret from collmer customs)

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
neostreamsupra said:
Hey drew what do you need to get coated? If it small stuff than my friend phil can do it. He did my exhaust side of my turbo for cheap!
INtake manifod, exhaust manifold, and maybe some intercooler piping.

Does he use the techline stuff?

THe problem I have is that the exhaust manifold needs to be able to withstand 1800 degree exhaust stream @ maximum load for an extended period of time (about 4 minutes maximum). Does he have a coating that can take that kind of abuse?

Thanks to everyone helping me to find a shop to do this

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Actually ceramic coating the intake manifold and IC piping wouldn't be good ideas as they dissipate heat too. I talked to the guys at JetHot about this a while back and they agreed that it was a bad idea BUT they would do it if customers asked.

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
silvino said:
Actually ceramic coating the intake manifold and IC piping wouldn't be good ideas as they dissipate heat too. I talked to the guys at JetHot about this a while back and they agreed that it was a bad idea BUT they would do it if customers asked.
Sil, I did my homework on this one.

I measured temperatures of the metal and compared them to datalogs of IAT. I heat wrapped pipes and saw IAT's drop. You gotta remember when I race its 110 degrees AMBIENT and in excess of 130 in my engine bay and I'm not allowed to vent the engine bay for the class I run in. I'm WOT for 8 miles. A lot of heat transfers to the intake manifold. Heat soaking is a major issue on everything top to bottom out there.

·
OCC
897 Posts
gixxer_drew said:
Sil, I did my homework on this one.

I measured temperatures of the metal and compared them to datalogs of IAT. I heat wrapped pipes and saw IAT's drop. You gotta remember when I race its 110 degrees AMBIENT and in excess of 130 in my engine bay and I'm not allowed to vent the engine bay for the class I run in. I'm WOT for 8 miles. A lot of heat transfers to the intake manifold. Heat soaking is a major issue on everything top to bottom out there.
Drew,

That's the true test of durability man... good luck on settin' some records bro.

sushi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts