Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by O'reilly's to grap some snap rings, and an older guy was admiring the supra, asked me if I'd ever gone to the Open road race they have in west texas? I was like huh? He said that they reach mid 200 speeds, on certain straight aways of the track(the higher class of course) but I was thinking well they have cars that do that in the Texas mile, but the way he was talking there was longer straight aways then a mile, has anyone been to this or even knew about this, I searched and several things poped up, but nothing over 3 posts...so...anybody?

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went on their web site bborr.com, looks like its similar to the Silver State classic challenge.
Have you done either?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
do it man... I'll go and be your moral support or co-pilot

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do it man... I'll go and be your moral support or co-pilot
I'm down, but the guy that was talking to me about it said entry was over 1000$, lol sorry but that's a lil high for a race that I probably don't even have a shot at winning

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah but the point is it's over a grand just to race, public road or not that ridiculous, granted I still want to do it, but maybe when my cars at 850+

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Yeah but the point is it's over a grand just to race, public road or not that ridiculous, granted I still want to do it, but maybe when my cars at 850+
Just think of the cost of shutting down roads, having crews on radios, medical staff, etc. The safety factor is well worth the entry fee. I don't think I'd ever want to do that race in a car making 850. Shoot, I'd rather do it in a car making 300hp with LOTS of brakes :)

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well why not have both, like I said, if I do it, and that's a big IF, then I'll wait till I got the car fully caged, and all track safety stuff up to par, better/bigger brakes, and a faster car before I enter this

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Other than in the Unlimited class, most of these are about nailing down an average speed. I would also be very surprised if you show up with a prepped race car, but no experience in these races and they let you go unlimited. I would suggest to read the rules, and enter your car as is in a lower class, and just have fun with it, gain experience, and then decide whether this is for you.

I had a track day pitted next to an (even older) fellow in a prepped Camaro who was into open road racing, and was working his way up. He was doing a DE to gain experience and understanding on reading the road. He was not very fast at TWS. However, he said that he had a blast doing the open road racing thing.

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than in the Unlimited class, most of these are about nailing down an average speed. I would also be very surprised if you show up with a prepped race car, but no experience in these races and they let you go unlimited. I would suggest to read the rules, and enter your car as is in a lower class, and just have fun with it, gain experience, and then decide whether this is for you.

I had a track day pitted next to an (even older) fellow in a prepped Camaro who was into open road racing, and was working his way up. He was doing a DE to gain experience and understanding on reading the road. He was not very fast at TWS. However, he said that he had a blast doing the open road racing thing.
Well of course, but I'd at least like a prepped car that's semi made for a circuit

·
Registered
463 Posts
Pretty sure your first competition in any event requires you to run in a class that tops around 150mph and that going faster will anger the organizers who are testing whether you and your car are developed enough to run in the higher classes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts