Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, all of you who read my other thread(s) regarding this problem, would know... but just to backtrack:

I got the sweet idea to go gung-ho on my Factory 1995 "SE" gold pinstripe that runs along the drivers and passenger side of my car. Unaware that the paint under and the etches of the decal would be left behind, I went ahead and began to remove my drivers side decal. It looked like hell, and now im driving around with a passenger side that looks flawless, and a drivers side that looks like hell!

Forward into 4 months: I still havent resolved this problem. I am clueless on what to do, and still don't know what to do.... Can any of you guys give me any suggestions? I will pay someone GOOD to attempt to make me something or cut me out a decal that would go in the same place!!!!

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
pic of what your talking about... I can visualize it but id liek to see what condition... mayeb you can clean up the paint instead of covering it up...

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me find a picture really quickly.....

Theres not going to be a way I can clean it up, the tops and bottoms of the sticker are next to etched permanently into the paint. At one point i tried taking a credit card across the etch, and it basically broke my paint..... The paint under the body of my supra is WAY lighter, due to my car being previously clearcoated.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,473 Posts
Take it to a place who does car graphics and have them design you a graphic that you like, just dont do anything over the top. Have them make one for each side and wham, you are done.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
is that etched going down or up? like is that paint, step down where the sticker was, step up back to paint... or paint step up to where sticker was, step down?

That sinteresting - I never seen a decal come off liek that...

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Just get the damn thing painted. You'll be happier in the long run. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
wasnt your car clear coated over the SE pinstripe? Im wondering if I will have the same problem if I ever took off mine. :dunno:

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah.. I dont know what the top and bottoms are.. must be the leftover of the sticker...

The middle if of my old decal.... what your seeing is clearcoat from when the stupid previous owner had the car clearcoated with the decal on the car....

If I could afford a new paintjob.. I would be going na-t. Thats not going to happen. Looks like I got in a helluva situation...

Thanks for the suggestions.. keep em coming.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What about going to a really good auto paint shop or detail shop and just have them spot spray the bad areas. A really good shop should be able to match the old paint. I would think that might cost less than a whole paint job. I had a small area done on mine and you can't see a difference. Its worth a try. Good luck!

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Storko said:
What about going to a really good auto paint shop or detail shop and just have them spot spray the bad areas. A really good shop should be able to match the old paint. I would think that might cost less than a whole paint job. I had a small area done on mine and you can't see a difference. Its worth a try. Good luck!
I would do that. If they don't fix it good enough maybe they will take some cost off your full paint job.

G

·
I would take the sticker off the other side of your car and do the following:

1000 grit the entire car, and prep for new clear.

Reclear the entire car.

Color sand, buff, wax, etc.

Done.

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm actually probably the most unintelligent person ever when it comes to body work....

I dont understand what you mean by taking the sand paper to the car.. wouldnt that take off the whole paint? Sorry for the UBER n00b x2 question but I dont care how dumb I sound.. I need to figure something out.!

(and something that isnt going to cost me $X,XXX)

Thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Storko said:

In theory you might think that works and makes sence....but it would never look good because there's no place to blend the new color applied. It's a specific, narrow area that needs attention. If you masked off that region and repainted it, you'd come out with the same exact problem, only with new color that most definitely won't even match the color red that's there now.....now you have a different shade of red in the shape of that pinstripe width, all around the car....and still with an paint edge, heh. Would be kind of like chasing your tail.

Meanwhile, yes, they were cleared over....that's why there's the line above and below. It sucks. There's basically no quick paint fix......certainly none that would look all that hot either. Your best and cheapest bet is to find a decal that will fill or cover that area and stripe the entire car over again. And that's if you can find a halfway decent stripe in that width......you can go to auto paint stores and check out their pinstripe catalog. Maybe a 5-line stripe.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Stealth021 said:
I would take the sticker off the other side of your car and do the following:

1000 grit the entire car, and prep for new clear.

Reclear the entire car.

Color sand, buff, wax, etc.

Done.

If a shop would do this, they'd spray new color on it anyway.....at ^this^ point, there'd be very very little reason not to. Plus, now you gotta worry that they don't sand through the clear anywhere --> causing need for color to be sprayed back on the broken through spots.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,473 Posts
MDSuPeRStAr said:
Take it to a place who does car graphics and have them design you a graphic that you like, just dont do anything over the top. Have them make one for each side and wham, you are done.

:werdlol: :run:

G

·
SupaSupraSE said:
I'm actually probably the most unintelligent person ever when it comes to body work....

I dont understand what you mean by taking the sand paper to the car.. wouldnt that take off the whole paint? Sorry for the UBER n00b x2 question but I dont care how dumb I sound.. I need to figure something out.!

(and something that isnt going to cost me $X,XXX)

Thanks for the comments guys!
You didn't read my entire post. I will reword it.

1. TAKE THE CAR TO A COMPETENT BODY SHOP. They will know what to do. They will know what type of sandpaper to sand it with. 1000 grit will only slightly touch the surface. Very fine paper. It will only roughen up the existing clearcoat. That is the part you need to "prep" (the existing clear, above and below, NOT the original paint area). After you sand the "newer" clearcoat so it is not shiny (paint does not stick to anything shiny, it must be dull), you apply new clear.

2. Now, since clear was sprayed over the car once, you need to fix it right. The ONLY way this is to be done, is by full repaint. If the paint is in good condition, and you do not require bodywork, they can repaint ONLY the clearcoat, and save you a lot of $$$ and your car will look brand new. If your car requires the base coat as well, you are looking at $$$$$$$ x $$$$$$$.

3. There is two ways to "hack" this repair. You may do either, at your own risk. I will label them repair a.) and repair b.)

a.) Add clear where the sticker was and blend it. You will most likely see where the sticker once was. You will have a faint line through your clear, especially if they buff the line out wrong. I would not recommend this, and I doubt if it could realistically be applied.

b.) Add clear above and below the sticker, and try to blend it somewhere less noticeable. Your line is so long, again, this method just wont work. So many hours of prep and careful sanding would have to make either a. or b. work.

I would keep your red paint and reclear the entire car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts